No announcement yet.

93 mgm blowing fuse #9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vice grips to grab the little tab... this give you a better handle to pull on. at least that's what I did with I changed mine. I have small vice grips too.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Well, those things don't slide upward very easy. Haven't yet tried pulling on the tabs. Have put quite a bit of upward pressure when spreading the clips. In the meantime, I just pulled and disconnected the radio and had the lights just as they are supposed to be. Thought that would do it. But when I turned the lights on and off a couple times it started blowing the fuses again. Anybody tell me what the next step is? I'm about ready to turn it over to someone who knows what they're doing.

Thanks,
      Don.
      1993 Mercury Grand Marquis 4.6L AODE[SIGPIC]sigpic

Comment

Okay- was out to a friends house and we got the clips out and removed the headlight. Clips actually did come out fairly easy when pulling up on the tab with channel locks. Emptied a pretty fair amount of water from the headlight. There was some kinda tube extending from the back of the headlight. Looked like some kind of drainage tube, except it was located near the top, and it had some kinda red plug in it, which could be seen by shining a light up the tube. Put the headlight back in. Changed out the #9 fuse ,and had lights just like it was supposed to. Cycled the lights on & off & turned the motor on & off, etc. Lights stayed on like they should. Started home and all was ok till I turned the corner by my friends place and I heard a small "crack" noise. Stopped to check, and sure enough, no running lights. And so the saga continues

Don.

Comment

So yesterday afternoon I checked all the lights and sockets and everything was good that way. Probably has nothing to do with anything, but while I was at it , Took the airbag off the steering wheel and checked there. All looked ok. Turned the lights on/off etc. and all was ok. Later, after it got dark, I started the engine and turned on the lights and immediately, there was like a flash from under the dash on the drivers side, and didn't even get a flicker from the dash lights. Reckon the flash I saw was the fuse blowing or maybe this was where the short is? And on we go...

Comment

Ok. Trying to trace down this short this morning. Have the dash mostly apart. There is this one wire with a clip on the end , it looks like it might be some kind of ground wire, and it clips on at the key cylinder. Don't think it's been staying in place real good. Anybody able to tell me what this wire is? Could it be my problem? I'll try to attach a picture.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3913.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	1265453

Comment

Originally posted by Donal View Post
              Ok. Trying to trace down this short this morning. Have the dash mostly apart. There is this one wire with a clip on the end , it looks like it might be some kind of ground wire, and it clips on at the key cylinder. Don't think it's been staying in place real good. Anybody able to tell me what this wire is? Could it be my problem? I'll try to attach a picture.[ATTACH=CONFIG]29521[/ATTACH]
              That looks like the door chime wire. If you put that wire to the other tab on the other side, the door chime should make noise. I don't think this is your issue.

Comment

Could this not be a wiring issue and instead an issue internally with the headlight switch?
                2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                Past Panthers
                1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Pull the headlight switch, since you have the dash all apart, and inspect the connector. Probably melted.

Comment

I pulled the headlight switch and it looked fine. No heat damage or anything. Can it still be bad and look ok? Thank goodness for you guys and your help.

Don.

Comment

sounds like a wire is grounding out somehwere and its not supposed to check your radio connections by chance are they taped,soldered,or butt connector?
                      89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

I pulled the headlight switch and it looked fine. No heat damage or anything. Can it still be bad and look ok? Thank goodness for you guys and your help.

Don.
                        The plug looked ok too?

Comment

I pulled the radio and unplugged it. Still blew the fuse. Yes. The plug looked ok too. Can it still be bad?

Don.

Comment

I pulled the radio and unplugged it. Still blew the fuse. Yes. The plug looked ok too. Can it still be bad?

Don.
                            you check the radio wiring itself?
                            89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Sorry. The radio connections are soldered and taped. But like I said, I unplugged them and it still blew the fuse.

Don.

Comment

By radio wiring, do you mean the wiring harness from the back of the radio? or the harness that the radio plugs into? I did glance at them but did not notice anything. I could pull it again, no trouble. What would I be looking for? Heat damage at the connector, or what?

Don.

Comment

Working...
                                X