Headlight switch removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight switch removal

Having trouble trying to remove headlite switch so I can take off front panel and fix digital clock. What to do? Ed

pull the headlight switch out... there should be a tab just inside of a notch in the base of the knob. get a small screwdriver to press on that tab in the same direction you would pull the knob and it should slide right off.

If it doesn't have the notch, it may have a set screw. I used a T6 star driver to remove the one I have to deal with, but it's actually a hex key, though I don't know what the compatible size hex is.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Not sure what year car you have, but I think it must be 92-94 if you're changing out the digital clock, so Sly is right. The headlight switch on my 94 Lincoln should be the same as yours and for that there's a small notch sorta on the back of the pull-button that you depress to release it.
      1994 Lincoln Town Car

Comment

Forgot to mention year and car. 94 Marquis. Thanks for information. Ed

Comment

yeah... should be the tab thing then. Figured it was an aero, but I've seen replacement knobs that use set screws in various vehicles that didn't originally come with such, which is why I always give out that info too.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
            pull the headlight switch out... there should be a tab just inside of a notch in the base of the knob. get a small screwdriver to press on that tab in the same direction you would pull the knob and it should slide right off.

If it doesn't have the notch, it may have a set screw. I used a T6 star driver to remove the one I have to deal with, but it's actually a hex key, though I don't know what the compatible size hex is.
            Thanks!
            1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LE SOLD

1972 Ford F100 Custom - 5.9 - Stock

2011 Ford Fusion SE - 2.5 - Stock

2018 Toyota Highlander XLE

Comment

Working...
            X