Troubleshooting A/C blower motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Troubleshooting A/C blower motor

I can feel that the A/C is getting cold, but the blower has stopped working. I checked the 40 Amp fuse and it's good. Also checked the blower relay. It's also good. So my next step was to change out the motor, but when I pull off the wiring harness and stick the probes of my multimeter in there I get zero voltage. I'm just wondering if you guys have any suggestions as to why there is no power at the harness when I have the A/C turned on. Don't want to go through the trouble of swapping out the blower motor until I'm sure that's actually the problem.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2003 Merc Grand Marquis
    Automatic thermostat controller.

the blower control transistor (resistor) is probably in need of resoldering/replacement.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	$T2eC16FHJF8E9nnC6Nm7BQN1(qNo,Q~~_32.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	1274650

Trying to find instruction on how to test this part now that I have it out of the car.

Comment

Honestly if you spent the time to get it out replace it. I think the one in my 04 is getting flaky and may be the cause of the blower motor failing recently.

Quick question, was the speed erratic at all? Like going from full blast to medium and then back? If so don't even question replacing it.
        2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
        2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
        Past Panthers
        1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
        if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Couldn't find a way to test it, so I took a chance and replaced it. Fan is blowing again! Wife will be happy, but she'll be happier when I figure out that "only blowing through the defroster problem." On to the vacuum tubes I guess.

Thanks for your help amigos.

Comment

Originally posted by halfthrottle View Post
            Couldn't find a way to test it, so I took a chance and replaced it. Fan is blowing again! Wife will be happy, but she'll be happier when I figure out that "only blowing through the defroster problem." On to the vacuum tubes I guess.

Thanks for your help amigos.
            Easy fix! Google Ford EATC o-rings. Long story short, take out controller from dashboard and take it apart. There are four plungers that control the vacuum. The o rings dry out and need to be replaced. It's an easy job. If you can get that resistor replaced you can do the job. It took me about 90 minutes start to finish.

The EATC Electronic Automatic Temperature Control Module: ...is a know issue with the Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, Mercury Marauder, and Lincol...
            2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
            Past Panthers
            1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Comment

Wow that looks a lot more difficult than the job I just did. This might need to wait until next Saturday. Will give me time to order the proper O-rings. Thanks for the link though, I'm sure I'll be able to follow the steps.

Comment

with the old one... look at the solder joints on the bottom. if you can see cracks... that was the issue. You can resolder those and keep it on a shelf in case the one you swapped out dies later on.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

+1 on the solder joints. Its a known issue with the speed controllers.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
                    Easy fix! Google Ford EATC o-rings. Long story short, take out controller from dashboard and take it apart. There are four plungers that control the vacuum. The o rings dry out and need to be replaced. It's an easy job. If you can get that resistor replaced you can do the job. It took me about 90 minutes start to finish.

http://2008crownvicowner.blogspot.co...mperature.html
                    Put another stamp on my man card today and pulled the controller out, replaced the O-rings (with black ones hardware store didn't have the fancy red ones like the tutorial). She switches from floor to defrost like a champ, but still nothing coming out the vents.

Comment

When I first got everything back together I could hear the actuators moving when I hit defrost or floor buttons. There was a sort of hiss as they moved. But after a while there was just a click, and nothing moved.

Maybe I need to take it back apart and make sure I put everything back together right. They also got pretty warm to the touch, no idea if that's normal or not.

Comment

Took it apart again to double check the spacer below the spring was facing the right way. Every thing looked good. Any other ideas?

Comment

Hmm, the o rings usually do the trick. I'm not sure from here, you probably need to verify vacuum source to the controller and then test each line on that vacuum connector that connects to the EATC unit.
                          Past Panthers

Comment

did you lube the o-rings?

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                              did you lube the o-rings?
                              I used some silicon lube spray to slide them on. Then coated them with die-electric grease.

Comment

Working...
                              X