Power Window Tuneup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power Window Tuneup

I had my car in for inspection and noticed another tech working on a crown vic that a customer brought in with very slow, barely functional windows. Also, my passenger window would not go up if let down more than 25%.

Anyway he said he used to work for Ford and in most cases regulator failure is caused by poor lubrication. He claims if it is lubed well it will rarely fail. The plastic guide ends up binding and either grenading itself,snapping the cable, or destroying the plastic safety bearings in the motor. He used the following greases:

On the front and back of the track, with the plastic guide contact, the permatex silicone you use for the spark plug coils. Make sure to work it into all moving surfaces while apart.

On the felt tracks, lots of silicon SPRAY ( the white aerosol can). Spray from base to top.

If the above don't work the regulator is damaged from running dry.

On that vehicle the regulators were fine, and after an hour of labor all windows worked like new!

You have to take the door trim off but it is a 2 minute job(nothing like a box body!).

Anyway when I got home I tried it on my passenger window and it works very well! I really had to saturate the tracks though. I do have very slight wear on my plastic regulator guide. I am going to do this for all my windows.
    98 Gold GMQ, Leather, Digital Dash, EATC, TC/ABS, Homelink, Premium Sound sans CD.
    New Dorman Intake, New Rad hoses, New Brake lines and calipers.

Not HPP, Original Owner didn't want the air suspension and didn't like the ride .

Sounds like a great thing to do while messing around with door speakers. Thanks!

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
    mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

I've also done the silicone spray thing in the felt. It definitely helps. Box regulators are rather more sturdy than roundy car regulators, but they still have troubles with the glass sticking in the felts. Roundy cars are more problematic just because the regulators break far more easily. No point in stressing those things any more than absolutely necessary.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I also lube up the felts with silicone.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Yeah, the box cars have the full steel regulators. The motors weren't as good, however. I replaced a few.
          98 Gold GMQ, Leather, Digital Dash, EATC, TC/ABS, Homelink, Premium Sound sans CD.
          New Dorman Intake, New Rad hoses, New Brake lines and calipers.

Not HPP, Original Owner didn't want the air suspension and didn't like the ride .

Comment

yeah the motors were kind of feeble. The later ones had a smaller motor that was more powerful though. I've also gotten good results out of fully re-lubing the regulators. When I replaced the door on my car, the window would not run without help, and I had a hard time helping it. I thoroughly flushed the moving parts with penetrating oil to un-stick it, then greased it with spray white lithium grease. Its the fastest window in the car now.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
            X