Temp gauge (funny reading) Too low???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temp gauge (funny reading) Too low???

I know that when the motor is warmed up, the temp gauge would always pin out around the "M" in normal. Recently , I have noticed that the bars flirted between the "A" and "M" (more "A" now) on the gauge. Is this normal.

I know I should care more about if it goes higher on the gauge, but I just wanted to play it safe.

Anyone have any issues with this?
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

Ashley's 89 goes to "m" and mine always hovers at "A". I used an ohm meter on the sending unit and both are within range of one another. So either my gauge is bad or that's just how it was configured. Seems every ford I've ever known always goes to the middle no matter what gauge it is or the sending unit is even plugged in

I'd do the ohm meter thing to be safe though.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Derek, where is the sender at?
      I forgot to add, mine is a 97 town car executive

And how would you run this test

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Might be time for a coolant flush. When my 93 was getting warmer, the lower hose was full of shit and the bottom probably third of the radiator had lots of crap in it too. Required the local shop 2 flushes and then a hose to blast the crap out.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by porschpow View Post
          Derek, where is the sender at?
          I forgot to add, mine is a 97 town car executive

And how would you run this test
          Oh, aero.. Sorry man, I can't help you with those. I'm a box dude. The SEFI 302's have two sending units for engine temp. One is just a one wire turd thing which on the right hand side of the intake near the dizzy and the other is to the left of the dizzy on a tube with a hose connected to it which goes to the heater core. The one wire turd thing is the one for the gauge. Anywho, your car will have a temperature sending unit but probably only has the one. Look near the water pump. What you'd do to test it is find whatever the spec'd range is in ohms for the sending unit at a specific temperature and then bench test it by heating it to that temperature & then checking the resistance. Should be within tolerance range. If not, then there's the problem. In your case though it was working fine but isn't. So rather than remove the sending unit I'd just get the car up to operating temp and then test the sending unit while it's on the car. If it reads higher than specified then it suggests the sending unit is doing it's job and that the car is running cooler. Could be the thermostat is sticking and like sly said it's time for a flush. Especially if you know you haven't done it in awhile. Our GMC had never had a flush in it's life and the coolant was black. Ugh. Two or three shop flushes later it was murky green. Two weeks ago we drained all that shit, back flushed the heater core, ran two separate flushes with prestone flush treatment and then changed the radiator. Old radiator was nasty. All the passages were mostly blocked off. We changed the thermostat at that time too. Runs nice and cool now.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Well , I flushed the system this past fall, so its a dirty green (although I heard the 4.6's get pretty dirty with the coolant pretty quickly).

The gauge is reading lower (which I shouldn't complain, but I still am lol)

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
            -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Working...
            X