How Do You Remove an Alternator Pulley?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Do You Remove an Alternator Pulley?

Title is self explanatory, but the car I need to service isn't a Panther, but has a 4.6 and uses a 3G alternator.

My friend has a 2000 Expedition. It uses a 8 rib pulley. I have a spare 3G alternator that he can have, but it has the 7 rib pulley, so I need to swap them. Would I be able to loosen the bolt by leaving the failed alternator on the truck with the serpentine belt in place and attempting to go at it with a socket and breaker bar?

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Not likely. I've been able to get them loose with an impact before if it spins it quick enough before the belt slips. Otherwise you'd have to find a way to jam the alt. so it won't turn while you use a socket/bar.
    These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

I'd be worried about the belt turning the crankshaft in the wrong direction. Will the belt always slip before then? Or does it have a reverse thread?

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
      mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Impact gun in one hand and a leather glove on the hand holding the pulley. Will spin the nut off within 10 clicks usually. At least my electric one from HF does the job like a champ.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Don't even need the leather glove usually, bare hands work just fine for this. And yes, impact wrench would be the tool of choice for this.
          The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
          The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

I guess we will need to go bother someone for an impact wrench. I don't have one, and I don't think he does either.

Thanks guys.

My Cars:
            -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
            -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

lol sounds dangerous bare hand lol

Comment

Eh, it's only dangerous if you go about it the wrong way - clamp the bitch down like you mean business, but at the same time be gentle with the impacts, and she'll do what you want her to do no problem
                The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Well I was mistaken on the year. It was a 2002 Expedition. I don't know why I was seeing things about 8 rib pulleys since when I got the hood open, it was a 6 rib 130 amp 3G, just like any '92.5-'97 Panther. The 90 amp 3G spare went on without issue and is charging the truck just fine. My friend still plans on getting a new alternator for reliability purposes since the one we swapped out was a remanufactured Motorcraft one that only had around 50-60K.

My Cars:

Comment

So you're running a 7 rib alternator with a 6 rib belt? That works fine, as long as you get the empty rib in the right place.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      So you're running a 7 rib alternator with a 6 rib belt? That works fine, as long as you get the empty rib in the right place.
                      Yep. This is the same 90 amp alternator I was using on my car. I set the belt closest towards the alternator and the belt stays where it belongs. Works just like it did on my car and should be just fine until the new 130 amp arrives from RockAuto.

I wouldn't worry about the belt skipping unless the tensioner or belt were shot.

My Cars:

Comment

It won't skip, but if you have it a groove off it'll slowly shred the belt to bits.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I work for Peprilleyadvanapazone, and I have swapped pulleys for customers many times, even if they weren't buying anything, because it's good service and tends to encourage future business. Your local location may do it for you. I would.
                          Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
                          Bone stock... for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
                            I work for Peprilleyadvanapazone, and I have swapped pulleys for customers many times, even if they weren't buying anything, because it's good service and tends to encourage future business. Your local location may do it for you. I would.

This. I did this when I worked at Advance. The electric impact we had was handy!
                            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Working...
                            X