200A Alternator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

200A Alternator

So it turns out that with the add-ons to my car, I've stressed out my poor alternator and it's probably going to go south on me before winter.

My mechanic friend suggested a heavy-duty 200A alternator. Has anyone had any success with upsizing their alternators?

Starter motor is starting to go too, but that's a separate issue...

Year, Make and Model of car?
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

never had any need for more than the 130. Is this fancypants alternator available at parts stores, and whats the idle output like? Some of the higher amp units make more output, but only at higher RPM. Sometimes their idle speed performance is worse than a standard size alternator so it ends up not actually working as well.

If you're currently using a 65 amp 2g or a 100 amp 1g, both of those have shit for idle output and the 3g 130 will be a nice improvement.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I believe it's a 65 amp.

The car is a 1986 Mercury Grand Marquis LS with the 5.8L engine.

Comment

What kinds of electrical upgrades do you have?

If that's an 86 with an 351, it might have the 100 amp. Either way you slice it, you need some wiring changes.

Tell us what it looks like
          2G 65A

1G 100A

​​​​​​​
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine 17 Sept 2023.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	2.84 MB
ID:	1391705I took a picture of the engine bay yesterday, including the alternator.

Comment

Also I posted this in slightly the wrong forum. Sorry about that.

Comment

That's the 2G. Highly recommended to upgrade to the 3G. If you need more amps, they are available. I'd suggest calculating what you need.

I'd be double sure all your wiring is protected by fuses, circuit breakers, or fusible links. There's a lot of custom wiring on your ride and I have seen a good number of cars burn up from added unprotected circuits.
                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

In 12 years of owning this thing, it has yet to catch fire.

So would 200 amps be sheer overkill?

Comment

For regular use, the 130a 3G is more than sufficient. But if you've got a big sound system or a chest freezer in the trunk, then you might need more amps.
                    1987 Lincoln Town Car - Signature, "Prudence"

Comment

I have electric radiator fans and at one point had 2 10 inch subs and the 130 is plenty.

Measure the distance between the bolt holes on the alternator to figure out which alternator case size you have to make sure the replacement is the correct size.

LMR has a kit if you have the same size case as 302 panthers.
                      https://lmr.com/item/SVE-17046K2/Mus...rade-87-93-50L

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                        I have electric radiator fans and at one point had 2 10 inch subs and the 130 is plenty.

Measure the distance between the bolt holes on the alternator to figure out which alternator case size you have to make sure the replacement is the correct size.

LMR has a kit if you have the same size case as 302 panthers.
                        https://lmr.com/item/SVE-17046K2/Mus...rade-87-93-50L
                        I have no idea what the case size is.

I do know that I seem to burn through alternators on this car for some stupid reason. Must be an electrical gremlin hiding in the miles of wires this thing has...

I did in fact order (well my mechanic friend ordered it) a bumper-to-bumper replacement wiring harness; just need to get it installed.

Comment

I'd be taking a GOOD look at all the "special wiring" that is on the car to eliminate all of it as a potential issue.
                          What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                          What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_From_Red_Deer View Post

I have no idea what the case size is.

I do know that I seem to burn through alternators on this car for some stupid reason. Must be an electrical gremlin hiding in the miles of wires this thing has...

I did in fact order (well my mechanic friend ordered it) a bumper-to-bumper replacement wiring harness; just need to get it installed.
                            Looks like the small case 2G, so there’s plenty of options to choose from for a small case 3G, like ‘94-‘95 V8 Mustang, ‘94-‘99 V6 Mustang, or ‘95-‘99 OHV 3.0L V6 Taurus/Sable. Those options all offered an appropriate sized 130 amp 3G.

I can’t imagine that 65 amp unit performs well supporting those e-fans with their initial startup draw current.

I’ll echo the sentiment that 3G has always been the way to go over the factory 2G units.

My Cars:
                            -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                            -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                            -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                            -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

My mechanic friend is telling me I should go with a 6G alternator.

Like....what?

Comment

Working...
                              X