No announcement yet.

transmission making buzzing noise in park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

probably a bad mount. I've had that issue on more than a few cars. replace the trans mount on the crossmember and the buzzing goes away.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Trans works just fine, as well. Does it have just the one mount on the crossmember?

How impossible is replacing it by yourself with the trans still installed?
      Last edited by 1990LTD; 03-30-2011, 02:30 PM.
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

My trans did it before the rebuild. It's just a noise that they make. Nothing to worry about.

Comment

Sounds like the furnace in my house. There is a transformer in it that buzzes all the time. When the tech was out I mentioned it to him and said, "they all do it" When I wanted it fixed he asked "why?" Five years later it still buzzes.
          2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
          2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
          Past Panthers
          1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
          if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
            Trans works just fine, as well. Does it have just the one mount on the crossmember?

How impossible is replacing it by yourself with the trans still installed?
            Just one mount on the cross member. Support the tailshaft with a jack; make sure you put a block of wood between the transmission tailshaft and the jack. Unbolt the mount, install new one. Easy to do alone.

ETA my car does it for a few seconds after you put it in park, then the idle settles down some and it goes away.
            There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
            91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
            93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
            Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
            Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
            95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

ok... forget my reply. I missed the "in park" part. If it was the trans mount, it would be worse in drive.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

First I have heard of this. Now you guys are going to make me listen for it.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                  ok... forget my reply. I missed the "in park" part. If it was the trans mount, it would be worse in drive.
                  Upon further investigation, I do have some 'symptoms' of a bad transmission mount...it wouldn't hurt to replace it and see if anything changes.
                  sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by 91waggin View Post
                    Just one mount on the cross member. Support the tailshaft with a jack; make sure you put a block of wood between the transmission tailshaft and the jack. Unbolt the mount, install new one. Easy to do alone.

ETA my car does it for a few seconds after you put it in park, then the idle settles down some and it goes away.
                    thanks! I've read about the AOD buzzing in park being related to the TV valve

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X