Quick Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick Questions

Got sum quick questions which tell me i need a better book..

Umm here they are though

What are the stock gears in are rear end?

What type of rear end is good for what?

What are all the difrent heads that can be put in a 302 without boring it out?

What are the suspenion up grades like from stock?

I know a few parts on engines are magnatized.. does it hurt if u put a magnet on them?

Can someone name a 5 speed manual trany that will boltup to a 302? with a few mods of corse

Umm, theres more but i have done foregot them now )
    People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Stock gears were an option, but you most likely have 2.73s or 3.08s. Check the door sticker for a letter or number, and someone here will be able to tell you what it is.

Lower ratio (higher numerically) is good for acceleration and around town driving because it lets the engine get into its torque curve sooner. Higher ratio (lower numerically) is good for highway cruising because the engine runs very slow, which helps your gas mileage.

Any heads designed for a small block Ford will fit it regardless of the bore size.

For suspension upgrades, go read the FAQ on the suspension forum. That'll tell you most of what you want to know. If you have specific questions, Mr. LTD is the suspension guru.

Since engines are cast iron, pretty much all the parts will respond to a magnet. And it shouldn't hurt anything that I can think of. But...why?

The T5 manual transmission from a 302 Mustang will fit, but after Freshmeat's experience with it (he grenaded his tranny) it has become obvious that in order to run a manual transmission in heavy cars like this, you need one that's built really heavy duty. Ford Racing makes one that is good for up to 600 ft./lbs. of torque, but it's also a $2000 transmission.

Hope this helps.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Well, i have no sticker in my drivers door, it has un stuck i guess fromover the years some time.. i was asking about the magnet cause ima start junk yard diging and i wanted to know if there magnets coulda hurt the engine in any way... ( Mostly for heads.. )

So is there still any other way of finding out what type of rear end i got?

And i would assume u needed a big trany for these heavy ass cars ) whats inside of a full size bronco? and would it bolt into a vic?
      People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

The tag on the rear end cover will have the ratio stamped on it.

Full size Bronco probably uses the same transmission as the 5 speed trucks. That would certainly handle the load, but they're awfully big and heavy. I'm not sure if it would fit without modifying the transmission tunnel. Someone else may know about that.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Originally posted by darkknight
          Well, i have no sticker in my drivers door, it has un stuck i guess fromover the years some time.. i was asking about the magnet cause ima start junk yard diging and i wanted to know if there magnets coulda hurt the engine in any way... ( Mostly for heads.. )

So is there still any other way of finding out what type of rear end i got?

And i would assume u needed a big trany for these heavy ass cars ) whats inside of a full size bronco? and would it bolt into a vic?
          Why are you gonna take a magnet to the heads?
          http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
          http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

i was woundering if a junkyards magnet would hurt the engine....

Comment

i was woundering if a junkyards magnet would hurt the engine....
              Oh you are talking about the big electro magnets that move the cars around. I thought that you were gonna use a magnet yourself. Makes much more sense now.
              http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
              http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

If there is no tag on the differential cover, you can also do the following:

1.) Jack up the rear so the rear wheels are off the ground (make sure to block the front tires)

2.) Turn the driveshaft by hand with the tranny in Neutral, see what wheel rotates

3.) Mark a position, for instance maybe the 12 o'clock position, on the tire.

4.) Now rotate the driveshaft by hand until the tire has made one complete revolution.

How ever many times you turned the driveshaft to get one full wheel rotation is what your rear axe ratio is. For instance, if you turned it a little over 3 times, you're ratio would be 3.08.
                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Sounds dangerous, and fun! ill do it ;-D ima have to do it on a day off though )

Comment

It's not dangerous if done properly and safely. Just block the front wheels, then jack up the rear end and put jack stands under the frame rails. If you don't feel safe when you're under a car, you shouldn't be there.

Comment

Truck trannies are much bigger and have a hydraulic clutch on them. It would take some modifing to do and probably wouldnt be worth it. Kinda like putting a c6 in.
                      1989 Grand Marquis LS
                      flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MN
                        It's not dangerous if done properly and safely. Just block the front wheels, then jack up the rear end and put jack stands under the frame rails. If you don't feel safe when you're under a car, you shouldn't be there.

funny you say that mang. i was working on a Bronco II brakes a couple years ago, actualy it was the Termanators, the one we just got back.. And for some reasson i was under it and looked up and noticedmy neck under the front disk brakes... well it was chalked and secured.. and all of a sudden i got a weired gut sence, ( Spidey sence? ) thattold me i needed to move then... I did. and the secound i got my neck cleared that fucker came down... Wade, umm a roomie of mine held it up thinking i was still under it.. And i wasent. so i got his hat ), any ways. just kinda odd u saythat

No one has put a truck traNy in a vic.... it should be able to be done... :-? prob need biger tires/shocks/springs and trans location... but it should be able to be done.. just alot of work like you say )

Comment

funny you say that mang. i was working on a Bronco II brakes a couple years ago, actualy it was the Termanators, the one we just got back.. And for some reasson i was under it and looked up and noticedmy neck under the front disk brakes... well it was chalked and secured.. and all of a sudden i got a weired gut sence, ( Spidey sence? ) thattold me i needed to move then... I did. and the secound i got my neck cleared that fucker came down... Wade, umm a roomie of mine held it up thinking i was still under it.. And i wasent. so i got his hat ), any ways. just kinda odd u saythat
                          What caused it to come down?

Comment

nothing... it just happend.. it was wickied..

Comment

Seems to me like if it fell, there must have been some reason for it. Did a jackstand break, or did it roll off the ramps, or...?

Comment

Working...
                              X