4 bbl swap, TV to short

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 bbl swap, TV to short

I started doing my 4 bbl swap, got my 2 bbl intake off etc,, and thought i would set the 4 bbl intake and carb in place to see if every thing would hook up, my throttle linkage will hook up but my TV rod is to short, i grabbed the tv rod off the truck i got the 4 bbl carb off but the end where it goes to the trans hooks up differnt, i thought about cutting my existing tv rod and extending it by welding a bar to lengthen it, but i dont no, any suggestions??

Lokar makes a kit for it.

But the idea about the extension is a good one - I've never thought about it.

Linky
    Last edited by Tiggie; 02-02-2007, 10:52 PM.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

ok thanks, i think tomorow i will extend it and see if it works, i dont see why it wouldnt, whats the worst that could happen if i have on wrong?

Comment

Your rod is too short...

Get some enzyte....
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Your best bet is probably to switch to a TV cable. If that rod isn't the right length, or you don't get the geometry quite right, it'll send the wrong feedback to the transmission. If it's just off by a little bit, it probably will just shift a little funny, but it could also destroy the trans if it's off significantly.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
          1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
          But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd
            Your rod is too short...

Get some enzyte....

Yeah, extend it man. As long as you extend it in a fashion such that the orientation of the piece connected to the tranny does not change it will not change anything. Even if it's a little off, I'll probably be fine. Tweak it with a little bending.

Comment

Go with the lokar kit, or don't do it at all.
              1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

+1 mang, I wouldnt mess around with it, stick with what works. If its off even by a little bit it can really mess things up. I've been there. You dont want to blow the tranny.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
                My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

Lokar works man thats what I used with my swap..
                  The Best
                  Past and Present Any Questions...................

Comment

Use the truck rod and the piece off the truck tranny you got it off of. Problem solved. No geometry gets messed up.
                    1989 Grand Marquis LS
                    flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Working...
                    X