Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'86 MGM 5.0......teach me the procedure.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'86 MGM 5.0......teach me the procedure.......

Ok I think I understand........to check where a parasitic drain emanates from.........go to fuse block, test each fuse if a drain exists, then go to that component that the fuse protects?? I know I should know how to do this already:-( Btw, can the alternator draw current even if car is off???

Plenty of videos, on YouTube so you can actually see how it is done as opposed to simply reading about it.
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Yes the alternator can draw current with the car off. My last 09 p71 had an issue with the alternator doing just that.

Comment

Sometimes, an alternator tests "good" even when there are issues and it is drawing power when off. If in doubt, I'd just put a NEW one in and see how you do (assuming the parasitic test shows an issue). I've seen some funky diodes do that!
        What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
        What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

You can also hook up a quality fused (preferably 10 amp) ammeter between the batteries disconnected positive terminal, and the positive cable. Let it sit a few minutes in case its something is in the car that might need "re-booting" like a newer radio. See what the draw is, and start pulling fuses one at a time. If you pull one and the amount drawn drops significantly you've found your culprit. If you have fusible links you'll have to disconnect one at a time. or slowly reconnect them one at a time.
          -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

If you can find a decent clamp meter, you can test for current draw on wires without having to probe stuff.
            I have an Extech MA220. You can't get those much of anywhere any more, but the MA440 seems to be the current version.
            https://www.amazon.com/Extech-MA440-.../dp/B005T8CMLS

Looks like it comes with the same kit mine did. I did add a k-type themalcouple and a Fluke K-type to meter adapter for measuring vent temps when working on the AC.

I just use the 40A setting on the clamp meter, hit zero, then clamp to wire to test.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Hi Sly, The new one MA440 says AC Current. Will that work for DC as well?
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

oops. Looks like I missed that part. dammit. No, needs DC like the MA220.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Found one on eBay that's new-open box: https://www.ebay.com/itm/185814449166

Comment

Many thanks gents!.......first thing I must do is replace the battery, it could have one bad or dead cell. Thing is the car is good for like three weeks, then go to start and the usual labored crank:-( LOL I did remove the rear defog switch, as that was a previously problem causing the battery to go stone dead. Thankfully the warmer temps ae coming and I will drag the car out to long island to play inspector Sherlock Holmes Never considered the alt though.

Comment

Working...
                    X