Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Injector Upgrade/Update?

Hey all,
    My 86 GM has at least one bad injector, causing hard starting and really gassy oil. I plan to replace all of the injectors at once, just to make sure all are flow matched and have roughly the same durability.

On to my question, I know that I can find a set of OE injectors on eBay for about $90. These would be an exact replacement for what is in the car right now. Now from my research, I know I can't increase the size of the injectors with the stock computer and top end, so I am not asking about doing that. But I have also seen that the 19# injectors do have an "updated" version that came in the later Explorers with a four-hole design that is supposed to atomize the fuel better than the older single pintle design that came on the older HOs. Is there any kind of similar update for the 14# injectors in our cars? Just want to find out before I just get the stock replacements.

Thanks

Are you absolutly certain the injectors are defective and not simply in need of a proper cleaning?
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

They very well may be in need of a proper, and thorough, cleaning. Unfortunately, I do not have any services nearby, that I am aware of, that can perform the service. Also, my GM is my daily driver and as such, I can't take it down for too long at any one time, so I can't easily pull the injectors and send them off to be cleaned/rebuilt. And realistically I doubt I could have them cleaned properly for less than I can get the rebuilt set. But I may be making incorrect assumptions, so I am open to being told if that is the case.

Thanks

Comment

I think the 94/98 Mustang 3.8 had four hole 14lb injectors. Possibly the similar year 3.8 T-Bird, Taurus, also.
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Not cheap stuff but I have seen excellent result using ATS Chemical 505 CRF Fuel Cleaner​. No guarantee it will work for you but better than replacing them or sending it out as you say it is your DD. Worth a shot to at least try. Some other have had luck with Chevron Techron, which would be cheaper but I think the ATS is even better. Just a thought.....

Comment

I agree with changing at least one of the injectors now as the fuel is dumping into the oil. Going forward use the Chevron Techron Complete Fuel system cleaner. Buy the big bottle which treats 20 gallons. Buy it on sale if possible. I would use one bottle for the next two fill ups. I use one bottle about every 5,000 miles.
            Another one I use is Berrymans fuel system cleaner. I have had equal results when Techron is not on sale.

Comment

I neglected to mention that I have run Techron through it in the past. Unfortunately, this has been a long-standing problem that I only recently narrowed down to the injectors. I had assumed Techron would make a difference if it were a fuel problem and moved on in my diagnosis, but that was a mistake. I figure the work to replace one injector is almost as much as replacing all of them, plus I would definitely need new o-rings for them after I removed the fuel rail. So I thought why not replace them all, they're all the same age, with the same amount of wear, and subject to the same fuel, I'd really hate to go to all the work to replace one and have another fail on me.

Now, on to the question at hand, as Tiggie pointed out, the 94-98 V6 Mustangs do indeed use a 4-hole 14# injector. However, in searching around to verify that, I also discovered that, at least by the numbers, the 90 and 91 5.0 Panther chassis cars also supposedly use a 4-hole design, part # F0SE-A1A. I can't verify the use of it on the cars, but the number was used on other Ford products that used a 14# injector with the proper connector for our cars.

Comment

Have seen the ATS work where the Chevron did not so I'd try that before spending on new injectors and doing all that work. Again, your choice.

Comment

Thank you for the suggestion of the ATS fuel system cleaner. I do have to ask if you have any sources on it without the oil treatment that ATS packages it with on their site. I can only seem to find them together for $60, which is more than half of the cost of the replacement injectors.

As to the work to be done with replacing the injectors, I unfortunately already need to take the upper intake off to rectify some vacuum line routing done by the shop that replaced my valve cover gaskets. They routed the line for the MAP sensor out the front and over the upper plenum, which is just so wrong. I'd already had it off to replace those lines and had it routed correctly, so it is definitely something I wish to fix.

Comment

if you need to do valve cover gaskets or lower intake gaskets, now is the time.

but honestly removing the upper intake isn't a big deal. I don't know why its made out to be some horrible task. Once the upper is off removing the injectors is also very simple.

honestly I'd just spring for a flow matched set of injectors and be done with it. Fix all the other "while I'm in here" stuff while its apart.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Just thought I would mention Rockauto has some brand new injectors all of which are the 4-spray types, plus some rebuilts.
                      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by 78Tbird1 View Post
                        Thank you for the suggestion of the ATS fuel system cleaner. I do have to ask if you have any sources on it without the oil treatment that ATS packages it with on their site. I can only seem to find them together for $60, which is more than half of the cost of the replacement injectors.

As to the work to be done with replacing the injectors, I unfortunately already need to take the upper intake off to rectify some vacuum line routing done by the shop that replaced my valve cover gaskets. They routed the line for the MAP sensor out the front and over the upper plenum, which is just so wrong. I'd already had it off to replace those lines and had it routed correctly, so it is definitely something I wish to fix.
                        Actually, I don't. You can only get it from the manufacturer and as you say, comes as a "kit" (fuel system cleaner and engine cleaner). The only way to get the fuel system cleaner alone is to buy a dozen and you probably don't want to do that unless you have a few cars.

Comment

I figure I'm going to go for the rebuilt set of four-hole injectors I can get from a reputable seller, US Carburetors, on eBay. I unfortunately have done, or had done, everything under the upper intake in the past, so all the vacuum lines and valve cover gaskets and such have already been replaced.

I did look on RockAuto about replacing the injectors with parts from there, and the recommended replacement for all the lopo 5.0s is the four-hole style, but they are much more expensive then the rebuilt sets from elsewhere, and they don't have as good of warranties.

It is unfortunate that I can't try the fuel injector cleaner first, but at that price a set of flow-matched injectors is not far off, and I am fortunate to have a three day weekend next week, after Easter, so I could see myself getting them changed before I would need the car again. And if I didn't, well, I do have other means of transportation I can borrow, but it is nowhere near the comfort and quality of my GM, so I try not to borrow it if I don't need to.

Honestly, I just want to get better than 15.4 MPG on a 75% highway commute. I don't think that's unreasonable with a stock 140k engine and rebuilt trans with 2.73 gears. Not having the ridiculously hard starting and gassy oil is just a bonus. And if I can update the injectors to a new style, even better.

Comment

140K fuel injectors have done their job. What happened to me, I believe, was the bad injector, stuck open, trashed the cats. Injectors and later doing new cats made it a whole different car with much better fuel economy. I am talking about my old 89 wagon with HO conversion.
                            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I have used these guys before for 19 & 24 4 hole type.

They ship quickly.

Probably more than Ebay 90$ but they are a known quantity...

https://www.southbayfuelinjectors.com
                              Last edited by mitymerc; 04-09-2023, 07:49 PM. Reason: Doofus

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Working...
                              X