No announcement yet.

5.0 Idle issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah it came with a bushing, I had to throw the old one back on because I ended up cross threading the new one and now the now one won’t spin anymore either. I don’t know why it won’t but it’s like a $20 part nothing too bad.

Comment

Alright I think I’m about ready for the r134a conversion. I just gotta buy the stuff and if need to know where all 20+ o-rings are.

Comment

The spring lock connectors use 2 or 3 O-ring per connector, so don't be afraid of how many there is. But you're going to need a tool for the spring lock connectors, I think a normal fuel line tool kit works.
        1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
        1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Alright. Is there anything else that I should get besides the basic ac and retrofit stuff?

Comment

If you are replacing the hoses (usually "4 Seasons" brand) the O rings come with the hoses. What parts exactly are you changing or just vacuuming down and replacing oil and refrigerant?
            What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
            What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post
              If you are replacing the hoses (usually "4 Seasons" brand) the O rings come with the hoses. What parts exactly are you changing or just vacuuming down and replacing oil and refrigerant?
              Since the car only got really low miles I planed already to change out most of the hoses, I think I want to change the condenser, drier, and orifice tube. I say the hoses cause I know there was a leak somewhere so I’ll try to find that with some UV dye. After I vacuum it down where would I put the old refrigerant, since it is a possible mix of r134a and r12?

Comment

just a waste refrigerant bottle. That will require a reclaim unit... those run about $600 and up. Most mechanics will pump down a system to reclaim the gas for shop time.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by monotonorobo View Post

Since the car only got really low miles I planed already to change out most of the hoses, I think I want to change the condenser, drier, and orifice tube. I say the hoses cause I know there was a leak somewhere so I’ll try to find that with some UV dye. After I vacuum it down where would I put the old refrigerant, since it is a possible mix of r134a and r12?
                  I would change ALL the hoses (I think there are three). As far as the old refrigerant, you would have to check with your local authorities. If there is a mixture, most if not all shops that recycle may not be able to help.
                  Last edited by friskyfrankie; 05-13-2024, 09:07 PM.
                  What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                  What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Question… new fan clutch just came in and one of the holes has no thread on the clutch to the fan. I dont have anything to tap out the hole with right now but would it be alright to run it with 3/4 bolts? If not I’ll just return it.

Comment

I wouldn't advise it. Besides, if they screwed that up, what else is wrong with it?

buying parts now is nothing but pain. Seems like its a complete gamble if what you take out of the box works, and if it does, how long does it last.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I’ll just drop it off tomorrow then. And yeah I’ve gotten quite a bit of bum parts. Distributors, sensors, solenoids, etc.

Comment

I once bought a set of brake rotors that the studs weren't even in the right spot. Found that out after the whole job was done and the wheels didn't fit anymore. Had to put the old rotors back on.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Alright, where to from here with the wonky fuel gauge? When I opened it up the hand was bent towards me a bit. I pushed it back towards the empty side with key off and when I turned key on to watch it move it fell right back to where it was before. And how do I know if I set it correctly after I’m done?
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by monotonorobo; 05-18-2024, 01:55 PM.

Comment

New fan clutch came in and I installed it yesterday, I tried to test it today. Let the car idle for about 30 mins with AC on and did about 30 mins of stop and go driving. Coolant was at 210 and the thermostat housing was about 230. Was also 80+ degrees out today. Still too hot?

Comment

Not too hot... that would be about 250 coolant temp. If the coolant temp is at 210, that's about perfect operating temp.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                                X