Water pump bolt set (again)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water pump bolt set (again)

Did some poking and I'm not finding if we ever came to a firm answer about exactly how to get a complete bolt set for a Panther water pump.

Is there such a set or known combination of parts that definitely gets all of the parts needed for a car with AC ? This is an iron pump so i have the two extra bolts. Those are not a big deal, i mostly need the long stud bolts.

Water pump started leaking and the last time i had all that apart a number of years back for the cam swap they weren't looking so hot. I would like to have new parts to put back in there.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I did a GOOGLE search and there are a couple kits available. Type in " water pump bolts FORD 302' WagonMan
    89 Colony Park
    90 Colony Park
    70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

A 302 is not a 302 though. the accessories on a Mustang have a couple less studs than what a Panther takes. The trucks have something else, V belt cars are something else again. I'm trying to avoid buying multiple sets at random and hoping I have the right stuff when I take this apart because I do not want it apart for days or weeks waiting on bolts.

This is a Fox Mustang one for example (pic rotated for easier comparison)

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	89
Size:	304.1 KB
ID:	1397168

This is the Panther set (pic from Arquemann )

Click image for larger version

Name:	5134519709d3feeadb752d1dd9db057e.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	1397167
      4 stud bolts vs 7.
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I have extra good used ones, two 5", four 4", one 2.75" and one 2". $25 shipped. LMK, Pete VEIGHTPETE@GMAIL.COM
        Last edited by WagonMan; 05-11-2024, 06:43 PM.
        89 Colony Park
        90 Colony Park

Comment

I would very much prefer new parts. I already have a set of 40 year old bolts.

Comment

Only trying to help. The bolts I have are not corroded or stripped. Good luck with your search. WagonMan
            89 Colony Park
            90 Colony Park

Comment

AMK sells it by the piece. Not sure they have all you need but I bet most of it is there.

Shop bulk & wholesale auto fasteners, bolts, screws, nuts, washers, studs, retainers, clips & other automotive parts. 80% of our parts are made in the US!
              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

looks like they possibly have one but its not the difficult to find one.

kind of leaning towards two Mustang sets and I'll make the one bolt that nothing seems to have out of one of the extra bolts. I should end up with at least one too-long bolt that I can cut down and use a die on to thread it.

this is all really stupid. Not even the factory parts manual has the right listing for bolts. It says there are a total of 2 bolts and 2 studs on the Towncar. Thats definitely wrong. It gives me 6 for the Vic and Grand Marq, 4 of which are studs. also wrong but less wrong.

Comment

That's not my picture, it was sent to me by another member. My water pumps haven't had the 2 extra holes.
                  Mine has 7 studs, like below: (left-to-right = clockwise around the pump, starting from bottom left)

Click image for larger version  Name:	20231006_201324.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.14 MB ID:	1397179

Since my pump is off again I can go measure them, though the lengths marked in gadget's post are probably the same.

One thing I want to mention is the difference in the AC bracket. My '85 and probably other earlier boxes use an AC bracket that goes on only 2 of the water pump studs, whereas '86+ have the 2-piece bracket that uses 3 of the pump studs. On these earlier setups the pump stud between the water bypass and heater return nipples is not used:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240215_150321(1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.45 MB ID:	1397180
                  Last edited by Arquemann; 05-12-2024, 03:07 AM.
                  1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                  1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

yeah I have an 86, so it needs that one. Which is unfortunate because it seems thats the one that isn't in either of the bolt sets. Two Mustang ones will give me the 6 other studs plus one thats too long. I have a saw and a die set, and I'm not afraid to use them. Guess I just need to buy the stupid things and order a pump.

thought the pic was yours because it came from one of your posts

Comment

I went the two mustang kit set and still wound up short route myself. Spendy.
                      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

yeah, and then I have to figure out what to buy for a water pump. I went through a whole thing years ago where it was a pump every 10k miles. This pump was the last of that. Its been through an engine rebuild, a timing chain failure, and a cam swap. Doesn't have tons of miles on it but its probably better than 10 years old and off the car a half dozen times or so. I think its just a random parts store unit, nothing special.

honestly its things like this that make me unmotivated to work on stuff.

Comment

I ended up ordering some from Totally Stainless. This was back in 2019 so no idea how their customer service is today but they worked with me to make a custom set. They took most from their mustang kit. The weird 2.75 inch they made for me. Didn’t need it because I have an 85 with the 1 piece bracket but wanted an original-ish look.
                          Last edited by matth825; 05-12-2024, 09:16 PM.

Comment

happen to have any info on a kit number or anything like that I could feed them, or did you just give them the measured lengths? Stainless would be ideal honestly.

Comment

I found the kit in their catalog. There is no part number. It’s labeled the “85 Mustang Kit.” Comes with two short, two medium and one long stud bolt. I ordered that kit along with an extra medium stud bolt and the custom 2.75 inch one. The kit did not have the short 1.5 inch bolts you need for the cast iron pump. I didn’t need those as I’m running an aluminum water pump.

Comment

Working...
                              X