Piston Slap a Big Deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Piston Slap a Big Deal?

Got my 85 CV out of winter storage today. After starting it up I was greeted with piston slap. I remembered that it began towards the end of last season. How big a deal is it on these motors? It went away once the engine warmed up after which it didn’t make a sound. I’ve got 39,500 original miles.

Are you sure it just needed time for the oil to properly circulate?"
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Piston Slap is not a big deal. A little concerning that it developed quickly. You sure that's what it was? Also me: if engine noise goes away once it's warmed up, I usually don't worry about it.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I don’t think it was an oil circulation issue because there was no lifter tick. I’m fairly certain it was piston slap. I was outside closing up my storage unit with the car idling nearby for several minutes listening to it. Next time I take the car out I’ll try to get a video clip to post. The noise reminded me of an old IDI international school bus engine but nowhere near as loud.

Definitely concerning it seems to have developed out of nowhere but good to know it’s not a big deal (as long as nothing gets worse).
        Last edited by matth825; 05-13-2024, 01:30 PM.

Comment

I've got about 130k on my Lincoln, original engine and trans. My engine sounds like diesel when first started as well, not your typical lifter tick. Goes away when warm. I had it operated on once, they replaced a few lifters, IIRC. Came back about a year later.
          Last edited by DerekTheGreat; 05-13-2024, 07:53 AM.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

That’s good news. I have at least another 90k miles left in the engine lol.

Comment

The 88 MGM I had sounded like a rod knocker for the first 2 seconds after start and I sold it with 168K miles on it after finally getting all the leaks stopped. Lopos will last an excessively long time as long as there's oil flow in all the right places. 6-10psi at idle when at operating temp is enough (more is better of course).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
              X