No announcement yet.

Best spark plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Autolite and Fram ,not to add a filter to this, but they are both owned by Honeywell. Motorcraft is Ford.
    89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

<idiot question>
      I can understand how a fancy plug wouldn't be worth the extra cost, but how can one plug be better than another? :confused:
      </idiot question>
      2000 Grand Marquis LS
      2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
      1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
      Mercury Owners Group member
      Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

Originally posted by 85MercPark View Post
        <idiot question>
        I can understand how a fancy plug wouldn't be worth the extra cost, but how can one plug be better than another? :confused:
        </idiot question>
        I would think the specs that are needed to build them in different company's.
        People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

thats pretty much it. Construction quality and materials used. Also, the exact heat range they operate at vs what the motor really wants. One brand's "cold" plug may be more cold than another brand's.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Given my limited understanding from what it seems was that the plugs were a little high in the heat range for what the engine wanted because they seemed more gray/white and not that tan I hear about. Also, the car had borderline passing HC levels so the combustion was less than ideal. I think the final problem was you couldn't gap them since they had 4 prongs. The plugs all burned evenly with the exception of the oil or gas fouled ones, mainly #'s 4 and 8. I'll have to keep a close eye on #'s 4 & 8 to see if the foul out quickly. I do like Bosch products, especially the 02 sensors, but I think the Mercury likes her Motorcrafts. I never changed plugs before but it really wasn't a bad job at all. My least favorite to change was cylinder #1 under the compressor.
            sigpic
            1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
            Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Motorcraft and Autolite double platinums, fuck I'll run em in my chevelle. I just put autolites in the Kia, but I don't know how it'll like em.
              Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

EFI motors often run with white or grey plugs. I've never pulled a tan plug out of my car or my truck. My boat motors run a light tan though.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

light grey to tan is the norm. all of the plugs I have seen in a 302 burned light grey as well.

it doesnt take rocket science to know your plug is bad but it can help diagnose certain issues if you know how to read them..
                  Attached Files
                  Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Bosch= Crapola

Go with a Motorcraft plug if your changing them out. If you feel daring try NGK
                    R.I.P Linsey Nelson

'04 M75-"Chocolate Rain" - mid 13 beast
                    Originally posted by MeanVic84
                    Chocolate Rain. Some stay dry and others feel the pain.

Comment

I think I'm the only person on this board that has luck with Bosch.

I have the +2's and my car loves 'em lol.
                      1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
                      1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
                      1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

autolite spark plugs are now made in china......run far away

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
                          Just don't run to China!

1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
                          1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
                          1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
                            You know, I hear a lot of people complain about Chinese manufacturing, but I have yet to have a problem with anything like tools (harbor freight ftw) or car parts that have been made in China.

Taiwan on the other hand...well let's just not go there.
                            Originally posted by gadget73
                            There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                            91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                            93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                            Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                            Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                            95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Working...
                            X