FSB v FBB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FSB v FBB

I am separating this from the other engine post I have here so bear with me.

I was amazed at the fact that the FSB has such thin sidewalls. SBC's I have seen can go at least .050 or more no matter the year. I know his simply becuse I was into GM stuff for almost 12 years! It looks like I will have to delve into pre-72 blocks to get a good thick block or go FBB. I was really trying to do this idea with a small blaock, to keep the costs down, but...
    2008 Mercury Grand Marquis GS Bone Stock

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

yes they are thinwall blocks, but durable.........just about all the smallblock fords that i have rebuilt didnt need to be bored out....,...just a hone job and new rings and bearings
    scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Well lets take say an 93 HO block. Stock out of a GT. How far can I bore it without getting hotspots or compromizing daily drivabiliy? >.030 <.030?
      Should I stroke the engine. I am shooting for 425lb-ft out of it around 3k to 4k, but I am beginning to think I am not gonna get it w/a 302. Hp is not very important to the toqure

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

Comment

You could go .060 over in a 93 HO block

Comment

But is is a realistic goal for 425lb/ft out of a FSB? Bo I need to use a 351 instead?

Comment

the same money into a 351w would be easier to get the results you want. There's no sense in overboring a block more than it really needs to clean it up right.

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
            '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
            '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Small Block.....

Also alot of HP can be gained from some good heads... I saw a company that has some heads that will up the HP dramaticly... I will try to find the companys website...

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
              Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

afr makes the heads to is referring too
                Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

When I get back from deployment, im gonna get some AFRs :evil:
                  1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                  Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

where ya going tom?
                    Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Who knows, at this point..
                      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I was going to go with some Edelbrock Performer RPM or Victor jr heads on my 351W. But I'm now seriously looking at a pair of heads Jeg's sell. They are Kaase heads. They are a canted valve head and they are suppose to be the best flowing Windsor heads availbale. They have 247cc intake runners, 60cc combustion chambers and 2.10"/1.60" valves.

Basically they have all the benefits of the Cleveland style heads with none of the draw backs. The only bad part is they take a special valvecover.

They are a bit of overkill on the street but if I'm going to spend the $$ for aluminum heads I'm getting the best ones I can!!

Comment

Re: Small Block.....

Originally posted by trwp72
                          Also alot of HP can be gained from some good heads... I saw a company that has some heads that will up the HP dramaticly... I will try to find the companys website...
                          I dont really care about high HP. Low end toqure is what gets me...well you can guess! Plus whenever you build for horsepower you have to sipn the nam thing si fast, I dont like seeing 7500RPM displayed. I can feel the rings cutting in to the cylinders!

Comment

If you want torque you need cubes or a positive displacement supercharger.

If you want torque the smallest engine I'd go with is a 351W. I just don't see the reason people dump so much $$ on stroking a 302 to gain a few cubes when you could just start with a standard bore 351 and still end up with more cubes.

For the best bang for the buck supercharger I like the Eaton style superchargers. These came on T-bird supercoupes(M90 ), Lightnings & supercharged Cobra Mustangs (M112 ). The T-bird superchargers can be bought for $100-$350. The larger M112's can be bought for $400-$1500. The Eatons can be mounted just about anywhere that you can hook up the drivebelts. So they are easy to package without having anything sticking thru the hood like a big roots blower.

Comment

If I get blown I will have the cop magnet sticking out. No point in having it if ya dont flaunt it!
                              Nah, mabye i'll just get some NAWS! :coocoo:

Comment

Working...
                              X