Underdrive Pulley a MUST HAVE for HOs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mercmarquis View Post
    if you dont have A/C or a smog pump anymore you could get the march pulleys I got for my 351. I'll have to grab a part # when I go back home, was only $45 for the crank and $35 for the water pump pulley, I used the stock alt pulley and no PS pump for now. Everything lines up just fine.
    *ahem*

I 86ed my A/C and smog pump, so I'd be interested in this as it sounds significantly cheaper than the ASP underdrive at $150+shipping.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MN View Post
      *ahem*

I 86ed my A/C and smog pump, so I'd be interested in this as it sounds significantly cheaper than the ASP underdrive at $150+shipping.
      Me three!

Mercmarquis, you're running a manual steering box, or what?
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I've been curious about how this under-drive pulley would effect a lopo 302, so I put one on the '91 GM today. I put seven miles in-town on the car with the pulley on and there is a slight noticeable difference. Mostly, the engine seems to be a little quicker to react to the gas pedal and the car is a little jumpier in first gear. Keep in mind, my '91 is bone stock, through and through. I'll be watching to see if it effects anything like in-town mpg's and such.

I used belt #K060490 and it fit perfectly without issue. However, the '91 has a 100amp alt, so I don't know if the pulley is larger or smaller than that of a 65amp or 130amp alt. I'm not running a belt to my A/C at this time since the system is dead.

I will be putting my other under-drive pulley on S.U. in the following weeks. I'm sure it will make a big difference on her since she runs much higher rpm's when playing.
        Last edited by monterey1962; 07-26-2009, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Jesus christ, that's a big difference!
          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I have edited my previous post. I had the timing set way off at the time of the original test drive. Now that the timing is set properly, the car's behavior has improved.

Comment

I have one of those tiny pullies also, however it needs to be spaced out about 1/8" for proper belt alignment
              http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
              http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

I figured the 5060490 would be a better fit. I have a 5060485 on my car and its really damn tight. Unfortunately it was the closest thing anyone had in stock, so I used it.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The coolest part about it, is that the accessories don't overpower the exhaust note anymore.

Comment

That's what I used to think was wrong with my truck, I thought the accessories were just too loud for my liking, but I figured out the alternator bearings are going bad so I either need to rebuild it or buy a new one, and since rebuilding seems kinda impractical i'll save up for a new one.
                    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Wow, thats a significant difference in diameters... didn't think they were that different.

I'll be interested to see how this affects MPG's, if at all. The pulley is just 4 bolts right? It doesn't require a slide hammer to pull it off?
                      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                        Wow, thats a significant difference in diameters... didn't think they were that different.

I'll be interested to see how this affects MPG's, if at all. The pulley is just 4 bolts right? It doesn't require a slide hammer to pull it off?
                        Yes, just four bolts and it falls right off the crank. Took about 15 minutes to do, but I was poking around under the car looking for leaks.

Comment

yeah, 4 bolts. If it doesnt fall off, just whack it with the handle of the ratchet and it'll probably come right off.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I rebuilt my alternator, I did a write up on it too.

Comment

Well, after a few weeks of running the under-drive pulley on a lopo, I've discovered a 1mpg loss. Drove the car the same as I always have. I'll probably put the stock pulley back on this weekend and see if the change is actually related to the pulley or something else. It should be noted that, I found absolutely no benefit of running this pulley on a stock lopo. I would suggest saving your $160 for the pulley until you actually modify the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by monterey1962 View Post
                                Well, after a few weeks of running the under-drive pulley on a lopo, I've discovered a 1mpg loss. Drove the car the same as I always have. I'll probably put the stock pulley back on this weekend and see if the change is actually related to the pulley or something else. It should be noted that, I found absolutely no benefit of running this pulley on a stock lopo. I would suggest saving your $160 for the pulley until you actually modify the engine.
                                Shouldnt think there would be much differance in economy. Engine is still running the same RPMs at speed as before. Just the fead spinning a bit slower.
                                Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Working...
                                X