engine bay clean up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine bay clean up

alright I gotta quick question, sorry if it has been answered in the past but i cant find any that say they are for the 351w. I wanna clean up the engine bay of my 86 vic but i dont know what I can safely delete. I know the a.i.r. system and the ac can go but what else? also you cant see it in the pic but on the drivers side fender well there is a electronic box that i have no idea what it is for. finally does anyone have any vac. diagrams for this motor? i am going to redo the lines and alot of them are not hooked up as is.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by bubbaking View Post
    alright I gotta quick question, sorry if it has been answered in the past but i cant find any that say they are for the 351w. I wanna clean up the engine bay of my 86 vic but i dont know what I can safely delete. I know the a.i.r. system and the ac can go but what else? also you cant see it in the pic but on the drivers side fender well there is a electronic box that i have no idea what it is for. finally does anyone have any vac. diagrams for this motor? i am going to redo the lines and alot of them are not hooked up as is.

Does the electric box say duraspark on it? Can't eliminate that, if it does. The other electric box is the MCU. Basically it just takes input from the O2 sensor and runs it to the carb (as far as I can see). Probably can't do away with that either.
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

There is a vacuum diagram located on the sticker above your fan. I can see the diagram in your pic. Get some split loom for that red battery cable too, I always think that looks a lot cleaner.

Comment

The one box with the huge plug coming out of the top is the MCU, it controls the carburetor (if you still have the VV). The other box over there is the Duraspark ignition box, which can't be deleted until you come up with some alternative ignition form.

All that smog crap on the left can be deleted. There aren't many vacuum lines left after you delete the smog, VV, and all the sensors related to that.
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

yea the cables look rather crappy, but there gone now. I am pretty much stuck with the vv for now due to finances i cant afford a better one. I mainly wanted to get rid of a lot of the cluster f**k. thanks for all the help so far. anyone have any suggestions for a good degreaser?

Comment

gunk, a hose, and a couple of aplications.
            :cutit: '87 crownvic lx

Comment

here is what I did to degrease my Capri....Ok...First I ran the engine till nice and warm(mine wont get hot hot) and then I sprayed the GUNK engine degreaser on there and soaked that engine with it, Leave that on all night long, Then the next day with HOT water preferably pressurized spray the engine down and scrub the heck out of it with a good stiff parts cleaning brush....and repeat if you need it...Yours is a V8 and probably never cleaned before so I would do it until clean.....DONT SKIMP ON THE GUNK I used two cans on my lil four banger! Oh AND REMEMBER TO COVER THE CARB AND ANYTHING ELSE THAT YOU DONT WANT WET AND REMOVE ANYTHING THAT IS IN THE WAY OF SCRUBBING!

After that I'd wire tuck....invest is a LOT of zip ties.
              YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Warm the engine, and spray lots of Purple Power on there. Let it sit about 10 minutes. use a small electric pressure washer to remove the grease. Don't use a gas one, they're too powerful and may damage things.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  Warm the engine, and spray lots of Purple Power on there. Let it sit about 10 minutes. use a small electric pressure washer to remove the grease. Don't use a gas one, they're too powerful and may damage things.
                  ditto on the washer...and remember HOT water! a good degreaser and Hot presurised water and it will almost clean itself.
                  YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Meijer sells those little handheld steam cleaners (things with pressurized steam chambers, not squirt-and-suck carpet cleaners) for about 50 bucks. I used one to help form my new carpet into the floorpan, and the steam is great for working loose greasy gunk from engine parts.
                    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                    X