No announcement yet.

Transmission Removal/ install?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harbor Freight FTW! Just got an adjustable-saddle 3-ton floor jack for $60 and a rack of storage bins for another $30.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by phayzer5 View Post
      DONT use the bellhousing bolts to draw the transmission to the engine. you'll waste the front pump and possible converter
      If you do it make damn sure the converter and flex plate are lined up so you dont mash on the converter and you shouldnt have an issue drawing it together. Just use the studs tho

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
      My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

Originally posted by phayzer5 View Post
        DONT use the bellhousing bolts to draw the transmission to the engine. you'll waste the front pump and possible converter
        heed his advice.....we had to get another convertor and the pump rebuilt

you can get the car high in the air but if you dont have a good jack youre gonna need to lower the car to get the jack to reach the tranny....use a 2x6 block under the trans pan......most times you gotta slide the trans off the jack to get it out from under the car

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

What are the other methods of pulling the block and bellhousing the rest of the way together after one or more bellhousing bolts are inserted?
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

what about motor swaps, when taking the old motor out, is it easier to take the converter with the motor out then put the converter back...jus to speed things up?

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
              What are the other methods of pulling the block and bellhousing the rest of the way together after one or more bellhousing bolts are inserted?
              once its lined up, you should just be able to wiggle it together for the most part. might have to start 2 bolts as guides to keep it from coming back too far and falling off the guide pins.
              Last edited by gadget73; 01-11-2008, 06:19 PM.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well all has gone pretty smooth just slowly with removing the first transmission. I'm hung up on the linkages? What do I remove? how? Is this the other end of the Tv cable? Also the after math of a burnt up tranny due to TV mis-adjustment.

Edit: Pics are large, sorry for any inconvienece
                Attached Files
                Last edited by FastGallopingPonies; 01-12-2008, 03:33 AM. Reason: large pictures
                Resident diesel addict

Comment

the cable you have unhooked is the tv lever. Pry the rod out of the lever on the transmission. thats the shift linkage. once thats out, I think there should be 1 bolt on the frame to get that bracket loose, and it'll just lift out of the hole on the transmission. Careful with the lever on the trans, that bushing is a bastard to let go. If you get too crazy with it, the lever will snap and you'll have to swap them between transmissions.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

So the lever in the 5th picture comes off? I tried to pry it off but couldnt get it to move.
                    Resident diesel addict

Comment

you dont pull the lever off, the rod will pry out of that plastic bushing thing. the bushing might come apart too, just get a new one if it does. worst case, if you have a torch, you could just melt the bushing and pull the rod out.

Comment

how necessary is supporting the engine whilst removing the transmission?
                        Resident diesel addict

Comment

very imortant if you want the to line up the trans and engine.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                          1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                          1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                          2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

ok thanks. how much will the engine sag?
                            Resident diesel addict

Comment

Unbolt the linkage from the side of the transmission. The head of the bolt is clearly visible in your picture. There is no reason to leave it bolted up unless your goal is to bend it. The engine will sag significantly without the "rear engine mount" in place...... You want to use a floor jack to support the engine when you are bolting the tranny back in.... Taking it out isn't necessary.....

Comment

Originally posted by FastGallopingPonies View Post
                                how tall is the tranny with the bellhousing? Would a set of ramps do? I plan on buying a scissor style tranny jack for this from harbor freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=39178

I use that jack. I only use the jack for removal and installation. I don't put the tranny on the jack until it is under the car. 2 people are better than 1 when doing this job......

Comment

Working...
                                X