Tuning the HO Motors.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tuning the HO Motors.

A quick question about modding and tuning the HO. If you get an aftermarket cam for an HO, will there be problems tuning it? I got a guy down the steet from me who has a heavily modded '90 MKVII. The 5.0L looks to be an HO with GT40 heads and a Cobra intake. I don't know what was done with the bottom end. He is constantly tuning the engine; more so after he did a cam swap. The engine is really lopey from the swap, but it seems like he is now tuning the car more than anything else. I've even seen him limp the car home because it was running pretty bad; like it had a clogged fuel filter or something. I am just wondering what the dos and don'ts are of modding HO motors?

Packman

Only if the cam (and everything else) isn't matched well. Also depends on the method of tuning. tossing a maf bigger injectors and tweaking the fuel pressure is not the way to do it.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

if you are going to do an aftermarket cam, then you need to get the car to a dyno first, they will check the a/f ratio and all that, and you go from there......definitely going into maf territory....but you need the dyno run to make sure your injectors are up to the task.....general rule of thumb is 300 hp out of 19lb injectors.........if you need more then you need larger injectors and a maf calibrated for the injector size.........then is the time for the chip......the guy i know that chips fords charges about 600 bucks.......that's the dyno time (4-6 hrs) and the sct chip and the burning of the chip........can also go the tweeker rt route.....mrltd seems happy with his, but it does require more skill and patience.....so to sum it up you will need
      maf ecm
      maf and matched injectors
      air intake (check out mrltd's setup)
      maf conversion harness
      tune or tweeker

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

If you're having a chip burned, you don't need one of those calibrated maf meters. Those were designed to let you use larger injectors without having the ECM tuned. It feeds a modified signal to the ecm to get it to fire the injectors properly. It works to a point, but the bigger the injector, usually the more bitchy they get about it.

With a chip of whatever type you like, you can run any MAF (generally a big production Ford maf works real well, plus they're often cheaper and generally of higher quality than a lot of aftermarkets) and program the ECM to expect that particular MAF's transfer function and to expect whatever size injectors you have. The timing and fuel curves are usually also tweaked to get the best results.

The process is different, but its the same stuff as a carb and a distributor, but instead of changing jets and and springs to change the fuel and timing, its done on a dyno with a computer.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'll take this into consideration when I put together the Lightning engine. I was just curious to see what happens with these engines with mods like that. It seems like the guy gets it running right for a little bit and then he has to tune it again to keep it running. Though perhaps he just likes to hear his car running in the backyard.

Packman

Comment

well, unless he's plugging a computer in, there isn't much to tune. you can play with fuel pressure, but the ecm will compensate for it within a day or so. you can also mess with the base timing, but theres only so much you can do with that. they do make those air/fuel corrector doodads that go on the maf, but that will make it rich or lean across the entire rpm band. not a very precise way to tune. efi isn't like a moody screwed up carb. provided all the sensors are good, they tend to run fairly consistantly, it doesnt really change one day to the next. Dead carbs on the other hand, well thats anyone's guess. Good carbs aren't bad, but they will change a bit with the weather. Nothing so radical as running fine in the morning to barely getting home in the afternoon tho.
            Last edited by gadget73; 01-14-2008, 01:15 AM.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

he's probably just messin with it.. my neighbors probably wonder the same thing. theres nothing wrong with my car but i do like to tinker with it quite a bit, go drive it and tinker with it some more.

the major thing is dont go too radical with your cam or the driveability will suffer. it could also be that his idle is different and he's trying to get it to where he wants it.
              Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

I think he just likes to hear his car, though on the other hand he has had to limp it home a couple of times; like he had a dirty load of gas or something. It would run as rough as my Malibu (carb'd) when it was cold.

Packman

Comment

Working...
                X