whats easier efi or carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whats easier efi or carb

hi i have an 85 merc 2 door with shorty headers 2.5 exaust with glasspacks going out the side it has all the bark it needs just it has no bite. So i wanted to convert it to efi or carb but what would be easier and could you please explain
    ---1990 Lincon LSC., 5.0 H.O., 55,000 ORIG. miles, 3:73 Posi, Bullit rims, 3G alt., 2.5" full-back exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, Flowmaster mufflers. My DD
    ---1985 Grand Marquis 2-door., Fresh 5.0, slick-top, GT40P's, 1.7 RR's, FRPP headers, 3G alt., Weiand Stealth intake, 650 cfm holley, 2.5" side-exit exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, 3:55 Posi, Bucket seats, custom center console. My Toy

fatnasty is doing a CFI to EFI swap but alot go towards the carb, not that hard

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Easier would def be carb. It's cheaper, and less effort. a 4bbl carb on a 85 longblock would rock and roll.

We need pics! sounds like the same exhaust setup I have, lol...
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Carb for sure....BUT EFI get better econimy...Just a thought.
        YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

who cares about gas milage all i want is more power lol
          ---1990 Lincon LSC., 5.0 H.O., 55,000 ORIG. miles, 3:73 Posi, Bullit rims, 3G alt., 2.5" full-back exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, Flowmaster mufflers. My DD
          ---1985 Grand Marquis 2-door., Fresh 5.0, slick-top, GT40P's, 1.7 RR's, FRPP headers, 3G alt., Weiand Stealth intake, 650 cfm holley, 2.5" side-exit exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, 3:55 Posi, Bucket seats, custom center console. My Toy

Comment

lol....Carb is an easy way of doing it if power is what you want then this is the right place
            YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

I hear you there, lol...

Here's what you'll need:
              4bbl carb (edelcrocks work great, or use a 600 cfm holley)
              4bbl intake
              1" phenolic spacer (helps with clearance for the linkages)
              Lokar TV Cable, 24" throttle cable, and stainless steel bracket
              1984-back duraspark II distributor for 302 (must be for flat tappet cam, cast iron gear)
              Duraspark module
              Cap adaptor for above to use TFI style dist cap
              Alternative fuel pump, either a mechanic or stand-a-lone electric
              12" length of 3/8" fuel line

There's probably more, but i'll add it later.

More to come.
              1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by Bowman85merc View Post
                who cares about gas milage all i want is more power lol
                i like the way you think...and we def need pics!!!

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Depends what you're more comfortable with. If you like EFI and don't mind dealing with the wiring, used stock EFI parts are real cheap. If you don't want to deal with all that, carb conversions aren't that hard, but the parts might cost you more if you buy new. You probably will at least have to get some of it from ebay or whatever since most junkyards aren't really gonna have much in the way of carb stuff anymore.

Something else to consider is inspection where you live. Carb is probably going to have a harder time getting through smog checks.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Sounds like a sweet car mang. Got Pics?

Like most of the others, I say carb if you don't care about MPG and your local laws are okay with it.
                    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      Depends what you're more comfortable with. If you like EFI and don't mind dealing with the wiring, used stock EFI parts are real cheap.

The problem is that you are stuck with a near stock performing engine. By the time you either chip it or start buying aftermarket EFI parts, your bill gets pretty big. Cheap horsepower is definitely easy with a carb.....

Comment

i have the rod style so would i still need a new cable for the kick-down and could i just get an hei dist
                        Last edited by Bowman85merc; 01-13-2008, 10:01 PM.

Comment

how do i put a pic on this

Comment

You can click on the "Go Advanced" button below and add an attachment for a picture.

Some have had success using a modified rod on a carburetor with the typical Ford kickdown provision, but most use the Lokar kit. Can use an HEI-style distributor if you'd like.
                            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

there we go heres a pic before my side exaust
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X