Setting up a CFI-Carb'd lopo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting up a CFI-Carb'd lopo

So here's the scoop, A buddy of mine has been working on a 61 Mercury Comet for the last few years. Its engine and trans were "borrowed" from an 84 TC. Now the guy who set the motor up for him put on the Edlebrock Performer intake and a Holley Street Avenger 600ish carb on it. I also believe the guy replaced the stock stick with a mustang cam. The beast runs, and sounds mean, but it pops bad when you rev and release the throttle. I was pretty sure I'ld read a few times that the firing order for the HO cam was different for the lopo, or that maybe we need a timing adjustment. Any suggestions, or questions that could lead to resolution? We've almost got this thing road ready, just need to take care of the details.

Thanks mangs,

The Admiral

P.S. I'll get some pics this weekend, for anyone who's interested.

If it runs I doubt he has the firing order wrong.

Probably timing or something else

usually late ignition timing could cause this or an excessive amount of fuel in the exhaust system.

backfire can be caused by choke not shutting off completely, also could have a bad distributer cap, bad spark plugs, bad ignition condenser, bad plug leads
    Last edited by 85MercPark; 01-15-2008, 03:56 PM.
    2000 Grand Marquis LS
    2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
    1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
    Mercury Owners Group member
    Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

IF it runs correctly, there may be some sort of exhaust leak, that causes backfires when revving, and letting off of the gas immediately.

Comment

It definetly does have an exhaust leak, but this is seperate from that. This one sounds like its commin from the head area around #8. This weekend we're gonna pull the plugs and check the timing etc. I'll try and get audio of the sound if I can, along with some pics. I think you mangs will dig this thing.

The Admiral

Comment

Originally posted by HerMajestysMechanic View Post
          It definetly does have an exhaust leak, but this is seperate from that. This one sounds like its commin from the head area around #8. This weekend we're gonna pull the plugs and check the timing etc. I'll try and get audio of the sound if I can, along with some pics. I think you mangs will dig this thing.

The Admiral
          Head Gasket. I just replaced one about a year ago on my brother's old 1979 F150, 4 months after it had been replaced the initial time....it burned straight through, through the fire ring, and out into the engine compartment, in between the two head bolts, on the bottom, on cylinder #1. Made the same damn noise, and only got worse.

Comment

mmm. Ive got poping myself, and i think we got it narrowed down to the egr gaskets. You checked that yet?

Before i was under impression that it was timing chain.

Have you tried to advance the timing to see if it helps it or makes it worse. then do the same with retarding it?
            People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

Working...
            X