front brake leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

front brake leak

Lately I thought the brakes have been felling mushy on my 85 crown vic, but I just thought that I was imagining it.

But today I noticed that the front driver side brake caliper is leaking where the brake line goes into the caliper. Can I just replace the washers there or do I have to replace the whole caliper?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

If the line is in poor shape, replace it. If the line is OK, you can get those washers. I'd suggest replacing the line if its original though, they come with new washers. Also, if one hose is bad, the other one is probably not much better.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

the brake line looks fine, but you think that new washers would stop the leak?

Comment

probably. The washers are separate from the caliper and the line.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

i would change the brake line and washers as preventative since you are gonna have it apart. better to have it replaced now than who knows when it will either internally collapse or crack and leak. replace line and washers now and it should be good for another 10-15 years
          Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

you're also gonna have to bleed the brakes once you do this, just so you know. Pick up a bottle of brake fluid. I'd actually suggest flushing it. Use a turkey baster (dollar store!) to suck the old nasty fluid out of the reservoir, wipe it out if possible, and fill with fresh fluid. Bleed the brakes in back till it comes out clear, same in the front.

Comment

Working...
            X