No announcement yet.

What to try next-erratic engine skip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

all lincoln mark 7's are speed density the best ones are 88-92. mustangs were speed density till 88........the lincoln ecm's are more common

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

also, both Mustangs and Mark VIIs with an HO used a 19 lb injector. 86-87 mark vii LSC had an HO, and all 1988-1992 mark vii had an HO.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
        all lincoln mark 7's are speed density the best ones are 88-92. mustangs were speed density till 88........the lincoln ecm's are more common
        Whoops .... don't listen to me on that one, 87longroof; I'm not the resident Mark VII guru! :p
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

There is a post a few down from this, "Engine stumbling at 30 & 60". It is about EGR and vac leaks. Would that be something to look at?
          89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

Thanks for the tips, yes I read the other post on stumbling at 30 & 60, I'm looking for a Mark VII ecm, and gathering up parts to go through the car. I think I'm going to also remove the motor to change the oil pan, (someone stripped the plug long before I got it) and reseal the motor. I'll print out this thread and have it beside me for notes. I'll be sure to update this thread when I do it. Thanks again for all the input. And if someone has a Mark ecm, please drop me a line. Thanks!!

sigpic
            Current Rides
            67 Cougar XR7
            97 Mountaineer 5.0
            03 Ranger XLT

Comment

Originally posted by 87LongroofCP View Post
              I think I'm going to also remove the motor to change the oil pan, (someone stripped the plug long before I got it)
              Ooooh, I hate it when that happens!

Great pics, btw!

I don't remember if you mentioned, but are you still running your stock 50mm throttle body and E6 upper intake?

Comment

Thanks for the compliments on the pics. Yes, still running the stock throttle body and upper intake. Today I located an 87 Mark VII for parts. Trouble is, I have to drive about 250 miles to get the parts, he can't remove the parts because he's disabled. So I guess I'll try and get the ECM, upper intake, and throttle body. Possibly the injectors too but I just may try and get those new. Am I missing something? Thanks
                sigpic
                Current Rides
                67 Cougar XR7
                97 Mountaineer 5.0
                03 Ranger XLT

Comment

I'd go ahead and get the used injectors. They're supposed to be pretty reliable, and near-free is a lot cheaper than ~$200 for new ones.

Comment

as long as they haven't been sitting a long time they're probably fine. Put new O rings on them and you should be good.

If you're gonna pull the motor, you might want to consider swapping those heads out for something if you can find a set reasonably. The stock heads on that engine are among the worst performers Ford ever made.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I found out why mine was missing. When I put the new plugs and wires on I let the parts guy (Auto Zone) talk me into using some Dielectric grease on the plugs. He said the wires will come off easier if I did. Anyway like a dumb ass I did. All it did was run down the plug and short it out. I guess it would burn off and more would run down as it didn't miss all the time. New plugs and wires fixed it. Live and learn!
                      89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

actually you are supposed to use a small amount in there, it helps the boots come off and seals out moisture. Its just a little dab though, too much is no good. Its also supposed to be non-conductive grease so it shouldn't short it out anyway.

Comment

Maybe there is a high temp grease that you use on plugs and I did use too much. I used the same thing I use on light bulbs and ele. plugs. All I know is it I had brown stuff all over the plugs and it runs fine after I changed them.

Comment

I wish the trouble I'm having was that easy to fix. I have been usiong that all along. Quick update: Thanks agian to all that responded with suggestions. Today, after driving 300 miles, I got some parts for my CP. From an 87 Mark VII, I got the ecm, upper & lower intakes, throttle body, heads, injectors, map sensor, and all the other small stuff, including the engine fan, which looks pretty cool. I don't have the numbers off the heads yet, still in the back of the car. I'll update that info soon. Trouble is, the parts car had 189k on it. So I'll need to have them done. Anybody have a set ready to go for sale? I know this isn't the cure all for my car, but at least it's a start.

sigpic
                            Current Rides
                            67 Cougar XR7
                            97 Mountaineer 5.0
                            03 Ranger XLT

Comment

won't be able to use the fan, it spins opposite on a mark vii. you'd be pushing air out the front of the car.

an 87, well that depends. if its an LSC, it'll be an HO motor with 19# injectors. If its not an LSC, 14# stuff, same as the stock CP parts. Heads are also iffy but probably E6SE, same as your stock heads. Might be an E7TE. The 87 LSC is sort of a mix and match. Short model year, and basically the engines were mostly leftover 86 Mustang motors, but some had the better 87 HO with the decent heads and valve relived pistons. if it had perfectly flat pistons, its an 86 HO motor, E6SE heads. Valve reliefs are possibly an E7TE head.

Comment

Thanks Gadget73, It has the HO plenum plate, it is an LSC. The pistons looked flat which surprised me. The heads look like they have 6k8 castings, if I read it right. Are these worth having work done? There's a dealer on eBay selling the E7 heads, item # 280192854945 are these worth it? If not, can anybody recommend a dealer ? I know there are probably better ones out there, but I'm now on a tight budget. Is there any easy way to identify these as #19 injectors? Sorry about all the questions, With limited funds, I hate to buy the wrong parts. Thanks again for the advice
                                sigpic
                                Current Rides
                                67 Cougar XR7
                                97 Mountaineer 5.0
                                03 Ranger XLT

Comment

Working...
                                X