No announcement yet.

What to try next-erratic engine skip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thankfully they don't smog test here in SC. I used to live in MA and remember the hassles well. Now all I have to do is find a competent machine shop, It's very difficult finding quality work in Hillbilly Hell
    sigpic
    Current Rides
    67 Cougar XR7
    97 Mountaineer 5.0
    03 Ranger XLT

Comment

Got the motor out and on the stand, I have an extra oil pickup screen that someone cut off the tin restrictor, is that ok to use?
      sigpic
      Current Rides
      67 Cougar XR7
      97 Mountaineer 5.0
      03 Ranger XLT

Comment

not sure, some aftermarket ones dont have the baffle but i'd be possibly concerned about cavitation. Might want to just clean up the stock one and re-use it. New aren't real expensive either.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My pickup for the Explorer motor ran me about $15. That seemed efficient, since the old one was severely gross and gritty like it'd been buried in mud and grease.
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

i've seen them for sale right after i've done a motor and spent an hour cleaning the original pickup. all three times i was like 'why the hell did i not just buy a new one?'. of course i then forgot how cheap they were till after i already didn't need one.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Nothing new to post, just waiting for the weather to warm up before I continue. I bought a new oil pickup tube, (cheap) along with the new HV pump. I don't have the cash now to do a short block. Does anybody know if I can use the HO coolant tubes on the stock intake?
              sigpic
              Current Rides
              67 Cougar XR7
              97 Mountaineer 5.0
              03 Ranger XLT

Comment

You know, I was going to say it probably wouldn't fit with your stock SEFI upper intake, but then I remembered that the tube assembly I have actually came off an '88-'89 Crown Vic. I had to install a carb spacer for it to clear the secondary throttle mechanism, and I spent about $60 on miscellaneous hoses to use with it versus maybe $10 for some long hose that goes around the side, but it does look pretty slick. I got tired of worrying about cracking rubber caps on the coolant takeoff intended for the stock EGR spacer, so I brazed it closed instead.
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Thanks 1987CP, I hate the heater hoses lying all over, the HO ones look so much cleaner. Today at least I'm able to pressure wash under the hood, and do some detailing. I bought a 91 Buick R/M wgn to drive while I'm doing this, not a bad car, BUT I can't wait to drive my CP again with the heads and HO conversion.
                  sigpic
                  Current Rides
                  67 Cougar XR7
                  97 Mountaineer 5.0
                  03 Ranger XLT

Comment

Is there a trick to moving the air horn on the throttle body without damaging it? Have to turn it to face the other way, thanks
                    sigpic
                    Current Rides
                    67 Cougar XR7
                    97 Mountaineer 5.0
                    03 Ranger XLT

Comment

i stuck a wrench over it and gently turned it. didn't have any issues.

also not sure i'd suggest a high volume pump on a stock engine. to properly use those, the oil returns usually need to be enlarged to ensure that the oil drains back down properly. if you're running a stock engine, a stock pump is fine. I would suggest an upgraded pump drive shaft if possible, they're fairly cheap.

Comment

I have the pump in the motor on the crane waiting to go in this weekend, maybe tomorrow. I went with that because of the off and on noise I hear in the motor. You think it's too much? Am I goint to have oil pissing everywhere? If that's the case, I may have to try and exchange it. This is really not the way I wanted to do this, but I hope the lower end lasts for a while, I don't have the cash to replace it. I've changed the heads for E7's ported and polished, did the #19 lb injectors, upper HO intake, with the cam I had, (HO firing order) I think it was a Comp Cams 2020? And changed the pan, rear main seal, front tranny seal. Any guess to how much gain I'll see? Thanks Gadget for your advice, really appreciated!!
                        sigpic
                        Current Rides
                        67 Cougar XR7
                        97 Mountaineer 5.0
                        03 Ranger XLT

Comment

Hey Gadget, I was just reading an earlier thread on the HO conversion, you mentioned the throttle body with the 2 pegs is the smaller, one year only tb? Shit! That's the one I have, I took these parts off an 87 Mark VII. That may have to wait till the other stuff is done.
                          sigpic
                          Current Rides
                          67 Cougar XR7
                          97 Mountaineer 5.0
                          03 Ranger XLT

Comment

you dont want or need the lever on the mark vii throttle body anyway, so it wont matter. you'll remove it and install the lever from your current stock one.

the hv pump might be ok, might not. its not really neccesary though. theres a chance it could end up keeping too much oil up in the top of the motor and cause the pump to cavitate. i would definitely suggest a stronger pump drive shaft with a higher volume pump though.

Comment

The pump came with a new drive shaft
                              sigpic
                              Current Rides
                              67 Cougar XR7
                              97 Mountaineer 5.0
                              03 Ranger XLT

Comment

i wouldnt use the hv pump either. do some more research on it and you'll see why.
                                Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Working...
                                X