weird master cilinder problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

weird master cilinder problem

Hello guys and gals, been havin' a little problem lately with my master cilinder, the last time i worked with my brakes i replaced the front brake lines and installed a polished aluminum MC i already had. Everything came together ok till' i bled the brakes, i noticed that during the front line bleeding procedure i was loosing fluid on the drum reservoir instead of the disk reservoir , now i'm having a small fluid leakage from the MC cap, the gasket is new and also the MC, any sugestions guys?? could be a cloged proportioning valve??, apreciate in advance any help
    sigpic 1981 LTD one owner
    1992 Thunderbird SC, 1986 Mustang GT, 2003 Focus
    Originally posted by Piece-it pete
    All I know about Mexicans is, they don't need no steekin' badges lol.
    Pete

Did you bleed the rear brakes before the front brakes? Normally you're supposed to start farthest from the MC and work your way closer. What sort of shape are your rear brake parts in? Leaky wheel cylinders or a bad rear brake line could also explain this.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yes i did start from the back, its just when i continued to the front lines it started to loose fluid on the drum lines instead of the front lines, the rear hardware, lines and cilinders are in good condition i replaced them a year ago aprox.
      Pete

Comment

Dumb question, but are you sure you connected the lines correctly at the master cylinder? The lines on my 4x4 cross at some point (or at least they used to), so the line coming from the front of the master cylinder was going to the rear of the proportioning valve, and the line coming from the rear of the master cylinder was bolting to the front of the proportioning valve - don't remember if Panther lines use the same size fittings at the m/c, and tis a bit hard right now to just pop the hood of the Townie and check, but do you think tis possible you swapped their locations accidentally?

Comment

no problem, all sugestions are welcomed, but i did check, i did one line at a time so i wouldn't mess things up, i'm pretty shure that situation is ok, this little problem has got me a bit confused. Actually it feels like if the fluid instead of going in to the lines the MC is spiting it out, i've already checked for cloged lines or leaking lines but nothing

thanks guys
          Pete

Comment

I bet its the proportioning valve its the only place I can think of where something like this could be happening.
            1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
            2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
            sigpic

Comment

thanks, i guess i got nothing to loose by taking a look at the valve, apreciate all of your help
              Pete

Comment

That valve is generally a bitch to get to, and I don't even know if tis serviceable - a new valve is also pretty expensive, whereas there are plenty of cheap aftermarket alternatives available.

Comment

pull the master cyl off the booster......if the back of the master cyl is wet, the new master cyl is bad.......could have a bad brake booster also.....i've seen them suck the seals out of the back of the mc

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Just dealt with a bad m/c on Saturday, a reman F350 unit fresh out of the box - would not build up pressure unless I spike the brakes, slow apply and pedal goes straight to the floor - I call it on the bad cup seals, m/c got pulled right away and promptly returned to the parts store. The m/c was a Cardone product, which makes two bad ones in a row - fuck it, if I really need the F350 m/c I'll just order a Fenco reman online.

Comment

Originally posted by MeLikeyStripperChicks View Post
                      That valve is generally a bitch to get to, and I don't even know if tis serviceable - a new valve is also pretty expensive, whereas there are plenty of cheap aftermarket alternatives available.
                      +1

Incidentally, my experience with a bad factory prop valve was that I suddenly had no line pressure to the rear brakes and neither I nor a pretty knowledgable local mechanic could figure out how to fix the thing. At the time at least, there were NO new replacements available ANYWHERE so far as I could determine, which strongly influenced my decision to save money and go aftermarket/adjustable.
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

guess that means i should pull this off the car i am stripping down... junkyard towtruck driver will understand since they will see all of our Panthers. with the proportioning valve known to have issues, mine should come in handy.
                        Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

hello guys, thanks for your replys, i didn't think the prop. valve would be such a big deal to take care off or that they where known to have problems, i think i'm gona start by the MC just to make shure, the booster is brand new, i bought it about 4months ago. Tomorrow i have the day off, so i'll go to the local self serve yard for a couple of goodies and take an extra prop. valve (five finger discount ) just to make some tests.

As always apreciate all your coments, i'll keep you posted so maybe this topic can help a future panther owner on these type of brake gremlins.

P.S. i promised pics at the forgotten panthers section, hope they have new panthers at the yard tomorrow.
                          Pete

Comment

Did you bench bleed the master cylinder before installing it?

Comment

thanks, thats a good point, actually a friend and i did the bench bleeding until no bubles where present, maybe saturday when i work on the car i'll give it another bleeding and make shure everything is in order.
                              Pete

Comment

Working...
                              X