• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this look like a 460?

Sure doesn't look like no 460 to me
    Attached Files
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

It's a FE (390?) out of a 4-wheel-drive truck (rear-sump oil pan).

Comment

Whatever it is, looks like it's got a Quadrajet on it...I'm guessing that's not the original, eh?

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
      1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
      But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Looks like an FE motor 390-428
        Last edited by Grandmarchris; 03-24-2008, 04:20 PM.
        R.I.P Linsey Nelson

'04 M75-"Chocolate Rain" - mid 13 beast
        Originally posted by MeanVic84
        Chocolate Rain. Some stay dry and others feel the pain.

Comment

Its an FE motor bored and stroked to the max it could become a 460 but I doubt it has been.
          Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Yeah, and I should have known by the pics.

But of course, i didn't pay attention. Now I have possession of this damned motor.

Comment

Its still good mang you can still make an ass load of power with it..It'll just cost a little more. Its still cheaper than doing a 4.6 build
              R.I.P Linsey Nelson

Comment

But I don't want an FE.

I was looking for a 460 (preferably with all accesories, which is why I liked this one, in addition to the price)

So, no.

Comment

Yeah, I heard about this one... if this is the one that Scott was all in knots about.

The head casting is C4AE 6090G, correct?
                  From what I've found, those are 352-390 heads; Pirate told me he thought that casting # was for a 352...

Scott gave us something off the block, but it wasn't meaningful in determining much (30 DIF). I would think Mercracer could tell you what it all is if you give him the right casting #'s, etc.

At any rate, the only way that I could ID an FE vs. a 385 series engine is via the valve cover shape, and the intake/ heads. I couldn't tell the difference from just the block, etc. But, my old man has an abundance of 390 (as well as 460) parts laying around, so I suppose I could study them for differences for my personal benefit.

But, thats definitely an FE engine right there...
                  **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                  **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                  **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                  **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

I would build it up and call it a 428 "Panther Jet"
                    R.I.P Linsey Nelson

Comment

An FE is going to be an expensive build (not that a HiPo 460 stroker build won't). But, unless you have some really good (by good I mean good for performance) FE parts (heads, etc), you probably won't be able to make the power you could with a 385 series engine. As far as I know, good FE parts are pretty durn expensive.
                      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Still cheaper than a 4.6 Mod motor build though... ugh
                        R.I.P Linsey Nelson

Comment

That may be questionable...

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
                            Its an FE motor bored and stroked to the max it could become a 460 but I doubt it has been.
                            A 352 or 390 will never be bored to a 427....... You would end up with paper thin walls long before that....... It takes a 427 block and a 428 crank to get that many cubes........
                            Some of the early blocks can be bored to a 428 size though..... 4.05 to 4.13 takes a thick block... to go another .100+ would be silly to even try.....

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                            The head casting is C4AE 6090G, correct?
                            From what I've found, those are 352-390 heads; Pirate told me he thought that casting # was for a 352...
                            At any rate, the only way that I could ID an FE vs. a 385 series engine is via the valve cover shape, and the intake/ heads. I couldn't tell the difference from just the block, etc. But, my old man has an abundance of 390 (as well as 460) parts laying around, so I suppose I could study them for differences for my personal benefit.
                            The C4AE-G heads were used on both the 352 AND the 390. FE block casting numbers are on the passenger side of the block toward the front. The casting date is on the drivers side under the oil pump area viewed from the bottom.
                            The FE valve cover bolts half to the intake and half to the head because the intake port is very short. The block is a Y block design so the main caps are tucked up inside the block. The valves are inline where the 460 valves are canted.
                            The thermostat bolts to the FE intake from the front. The 460 (385 series) is the only Ford engine that the thermostat bolts onto the intake from the top. The FE also has a hole in the intake for the distributor to go through where the 460 and small blocks intakes go around the distributor.
                            Last edited by Mercracer; 03-24-2008, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                              An FE is going to be an expensive build (not that a HiPo 460 stroker build won't). But, unless you have some really good (by good I mean good for performance) FE parts (heads, etc), you probably won't be able to make the power you could with a 385 series engine. As far as I know, good FE parts are pretty durn expensive.

A FE is cheaper than a mod motor by far. It is definitely cheaper to build a 460 but if you want to stay in the 400-500HP range, an FE really isn't all that bad. The trick is to keep the RPMs low.

Comment

Working...
                              X