too much flow??!?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

too much flow??!?!?

I gutted my cats and bolted up H-pipes w/ stock type mufflers today......
    I think you lose a little low end power, but gain a little more top-end.......What do you guys think?, anybody else notice this?

I did the same thing a few years ago with a '92 4.6 I used to own and it made everything better, low-end and top-end!
    It seems to me that the 302 doesn't benefit as much from this mod...............

You still have factory pipes with factory mufflers..... You should not see any appreciable power loss at any RPM and may see power gains at all RPMs....

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
      You still have factory pipes with factory mufflers..... You should not see any appreciable power loss at any RPM and may see power gains at all RPMs....
      everything is factory stuff, all I did was switch to an H-pipe and throw a muffler onto the left side, and I gutted the cats of course..........

Maybe Im wrong, but the car felt a little peppier off the line before I did anything...........:confused:

Comment

my merc was alot peppier when i gutted my catts and put the duels on it

Comment

We gutted the cats on my brother's '88; it made no difference, and it sounded really shitty with glasspacks.
          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

I can say my wagon got better MPG when the exhaust was rotted out after the H-Pipe as opposed to the current silent single exhaust setup. That may mean I had a little more power in the cruising RPM range and didn't have to get into the throttle as much.

A lot of the time the butt dyno lies.
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

With all stock parts like that it's definitely not flowing too much, it's probably still restricted with 2" piping. Put some cheap turbo mufflers on it and you'll notice a power increase. I drove a truck like mine at the dealer with the same motor but stock exhaust and mine moves better then that one since I have no cat and a Magnaflow muffler.
              88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
              Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

I think I lost a little low end torque, but gained quite a bit of accelaration and top end when I switched to the 2.5" duals.

Packman

Comment

drove it some more, I was incorrect at first......she feels peppier at all RPMs.

.....but I felt the most gains on the highway for sure!!!!
                  Last edited by mercuryhead; 03-28-2008, 07:52 PM.

Comment

going from a stock single to a dual does move the torque peak up by 100 or 200 rpm, and I think the hp peak by the same. It does also make for 15 more ft/lb of torque and 10 hp so it really shouldn't feel any weaker.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      going from a stock single to a dual does move the torque peak up by 100 or 200 rpm, and I think the hp peak by the same. It does also make for 15 more ft/lb of torque and 10 hp so it really shouldn't feel any weaker.
                      your right.....for whatever reason, I was thinkin I was slower, but the reverse is the case for sure!

Comment

Working...
                      X