Restore oil additive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restore oil additive

Has anybody used it? I was wondering if I should put all 5 quarts of oil + Restore or do I have to cut back when changing it?
    1986 Ford Crown Victoria Ltd

I've never used it, bit I would imagine that you don't want to add 5 quarts of oil, and then the Restore. That would make the oil level over full, which isn't ideal. How much Restore is in a can, 16 oz? Whatever it is, I would just make sure to add 5 quarts total, with the Restore.

If worse comes to worse, read the directions on the can, I'm sure it will tell you the procedure.
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Yeah I figured as much, but the can doesn't even give directions, it just tells you what its good for.

Comment

1 quart of restore, 4 quarts of oil.

Is your motor actually making noises or doing anything wierd? If its healthy, adding that probably isn't going to do anything but cost you money.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

ive used it and it does work but yea, dont use it unless you know or think you have a problem.

Comment

When I use it I get a the 5 qt. oil bottle and pour out about 1/2 qt, add the Restore. Mix it up and put it in the engine.
            89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

Yeah, I used all 5 quarts plus the 19 oz can of restore, and it already sounds better, I also seafoamed it yesterday. Just gotta change the spark plugs and wires and it will be running like new.

Comment

doing it either way wont hurt anything.. chances are your gonna have to add oil in a few hundred miles anyways, so i'd just do the 5 quarts plus the bottle.

hmmm whats better? 5 quarts of straight motor oil or under 5 quarts with some mystery crap = to 5 quarts. quit buying this shit!
                Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Interesting input. I've used Restore before, but not since I haven't had a higher-mileage engine in my stuff. Seems improbable that that stuff really "repairs" scratches like they say it does .... my current understanding is that the best approach for an engine in good condition is just to run a quality oil like Mobil 1 and use the best filter you can find to make sure all the crud leaves the engine. I also tend to use those magnetic drain plugs just because, and they do sometimes come out with a small amount of stuff stuck to them. Makes me a little nervous.
                  2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

1/3 to 1/2 a can of Seafoam in the oil should do the job alone. Cleans out some of the sludge and other nasty shit in the motor. When I used it last oil change, I had some goop come out of my pan when I dumped it, lol.

Never used Restore, but I've heard that it can do more harm than good on occasion.
                    Last edited by murphmobile2; 04-23-2008, 01:11 AM.
                    1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
                    1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
                    1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

Yeah don't use it unless you have a problem. I use rislone engine treatment every oil change. just keep changing your oil and you won't have problems lol

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                      302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                      k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

cleaning sludge out of nasty old motors is another thing that scares me. I always imagine that sludge going directly into the oil pickup and clogging up the works.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah, that does happen from time to time. Thats also why you gotta be careful using rtv on shit.
                          Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

I use 4 quarts of oil, and 1 quart of "Lucas oil treatment" every other oil change...stuff is like molasses! but it sure makes things a little quieter, and she seems to run a tad smoother too. Just wish I could find it for less than $10 a quart.

As far as Seafoam, I've been told use 1/3 to 1/2 a can, then drive it 250 miles or LESS, then drain, and change oil. It's more of a solvent than anything else. I have heard of people using diesel fuel or kerosene too, but I ain't that brave. You can also (supposedly) dump a can in your fuel to clean out fuel lines and injectors and stuff, but I ain't that brave either!
                            People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. ~ George Orwell

1990 Crown Vic, 2006 Ford Fusion, 2003 Ranger

Comment

restore

My brother put restore in his 93 ford probe gt, and then his engine locked up like 5 minutes later lol. When we took the engine apart, all of the engine oil veins were clogged with that restore crap, ultimatley leting the engine starve for oil.

Comment

Working...
                              X