Power Steering Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CheeseSteakJim View Post
    Personally I like the pinky steer. That's an aspect of American luxury that is quickly becoming extinct.
    yea, same here..I have gotten used to it and I likes it...reminds me of our old 88 white LTC..I miss that Lincoln...cut before it's prime...had like 95K on it with no rust or mechanical problems at all, got hit in the rear fender hard and my folks tossed it for a '99 Taurus. ugha.
    sigpic
    1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

I take it that these steering boxes go bad often. That was one of the first things that we replaced on the CV.

Packman

Comment

they don't usually so much go bad as wear out. The seals start to puke, and the gears develop slop in them. You can take some of it up with the meshload adjustment, but eventually the worm and sector shaft gears wear into one another and it gets tired. They wear in the middle too, so there is only so much adjustment that can be made to give decent on-center feel without binding. Make it tight in the middle, and the box can bind toward the outer end of the turn range.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'm getting nervous about the box on the '87 since I was told it had been adjusted once before I got it. Of course, lazy me, I *still* haven't gotten around to checking the current toe-in, gotta do that before looking seriously at the steering box as a source of poor on-center feel.
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

[QUOTE=1987cp;391056] Monroe Sensatracs are pretty much crap.[QUOTE]

i agree. twice the price for a shock that is just as bad as the ones i took off but it fims up around corners...what a scam.
            '88 Colony Park, white with wood grain contact paper, K code axle, hose pliers on heater hoses, factory duals, big plans in the future...

'83 Toyota 4x4, 31x10.50 15, could use a new carb, custom humidifying holes in the roof, mud based paint...

Comment

Working...
            X