351M question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

351M question

Hey guys, I have a friend with a 1981 Ford Bronco with the 5.8 liter engine in it, but I can't tell if its a Windsor or a 351M/400 block. I read they killed the 351M after 79' but I'm not sure.
    1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

If it has the same valve covers as your car, it's a windsor.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Yep, count the valve cover bolts. 6 is a Windsor, the M used 8.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

it is a 4x4 but man is it slow! he gets on it and nothing happens really, it seems like its skipping and the carb is not tuned but i really don't know. Seems like it should have much more power.
        1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

If its not running correctly, that will have a lot to do with the problem. Carb might need work, or it could have some issue with the smog controls. The 87 F250 at my last job had really bad smog control problems, it would blow fireballs out the tailpipe and huff black smoke. I removed all that junk and it was better, but still a gutless motor.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

351C/M/400 have dry intake manifolds too. I know they used the 400 up to 1982, but I'm not really sure on the 351M.

My dad has a '79 Bronco with the 351M in it, totally stock with 143K, and it's no slouch. My uncle has an '82 F250 with a 400, totally stock except for being desmogged, and it's completely gutless. It really depends on the specific application as to how it runs.
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
              351C/M/400 have dry intake manifolds too.

The 351C was totally dry. Many 351M/400 motors had a coolant passage across the back of the engine between the heads.

Comment

Working...
              X