No announcement yet.

Problems with my merc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

k so i came out this morning and it fired right up. i drove it around the block twice and parked it in my driveway and let it idle, it idled for about 10 minutes and then sputtered out and wouldnt start back up. im not sure what the hell is wrong with it. and yes it still has gas it didnt just run out of gas, havent been able to get it to start again since

Comment

Take an empty one or two liter bottle from Coke or something... and run the fuel line from the pump to the bottle... and start cranking. See how long it takes to get it to fill up halfway or so and report back. I have a feeling you're not getting enough fuel to your carb. Some fuel doesn't mean enough fuel.
      2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
      1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
      1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigskizzy View Post
        k so i came out this morning and it fired right up. i drove it around the block twice and parked it in my driveway and let it idle, it idled for about 10 minutes and then sputtered out and wouldnt start back up. im not sure what the hell is wrong with it. and yes it still has gas it didnt just run out of gas, havent been able to get it to start again since
        This sounds like classic symptoms of a plugged fuel filter, but since you said you already replaced that, I'm wondering if perhaps the fuel tank sock is plugged.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
        1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
        But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

The carbed pick-ups didn't have socks, did they?
          2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
          1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
          1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

yea they have socks and old fuel turns them to goo
            oh and efi motors will run on 9 year old gas but not carbed motors

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

same thing this morning, seems to run strong until it gets nice and warm and then it dies and doesnt restart for 4-5 hours

Comment

Does it get fire to the plugs when it's not starting?
                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

yes it doesnt get fuel in the carb when its not firing

Comment

If you've concluded that the fuel pump is okay (fuel pressure and volume checked out), then it's either the fuel filter, the carb itself, or it's vapor lock (unlikely).
                    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
                    X