Needing some help on my car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Needing some help on my car

Okay here's the problem I am having. After I drive my car to town, and cut it off, and when I go to crank it up she wants shut off when I put it in gear. She only does it after I've driven it for a bit. Sometimes when I leave it runing, and come back and put it in gear it'll cut off. I'm not sure where the problem is. The EGR valve has already been replaced. I have a spare throttle body I was gonna try on it, but not sure if it'll make a difference. Any help on this would be great. Thanks

Does the car idle high when you first start it, and then come back down? If not, the IAC might be bad. Try unplugging it and see if the idle changes. It should stall out, or at least drop way down. The IAC is the film canister shaped thing on the back side of the throttle body, has a 2 wire electrical connector.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The car ildes fine when cold, and when warmed up. I have already changed the IAC. Any other suggestions?

Comment

Ohh, and by the way I did unplug the IAC and it and stalled out

Comment

is the throttle body clean? have you or anyone adjusted the throttle stop screw?
          Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

No, I haven't adjusted the screw. The throttle body I have is cleaned up, and looks nice. I'm just not sure if it'll make a difference. The throttle stop screw is what controls the idle right?

Comment

no, its just a throttle stop screw to keep the plate from shutting so far that it jams. You're not really supposed to mess with it.

when was the last time you tuned it up? fuel filter recent? have you checked it for codes? vacuum lines in good shape?
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

This was happening to me; after I poked around for a little I discovered a bunch of failed plastic vacuum lines going to the smog pump and emissions crap. Fixed the leaks, and it behaved itself again.
                Originally posted by gadget73
                There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

I had put new plugs in it, and the plug wires already look new. I haven't changed the fuel filter on it. Vaccum lines seem to be okay. I had done away with the smog control system, and blocked the hose off. I'll probbably change throttle bodys this evening and see how that does.

Comment

Well, I had replaced my throttle body yesterday, and ran a different k&N setup. Before the K&N was just a straight long rubber tube that didn't fit right on my throttle body, and plus the K&N filter was hitting my radiator lines. So now I had used a elbow type tube that came on my car from factory, and I put the filter on that. She runs so much better now since I replace the TB, and different K&N setup. Before When I put the pedal to the floor it had a hesitation before passing gear would come on, and sounded like it wanted to bog down. Now it almost sounds like a four barrel is kicking in. No more hesitation. I'm not sure if the whole K&N setup was too long, and not geeting enough air, or my TB was bad. I haven't had it to cut off anymore either. Thanks for yalls advices. Sorry if I typed so much. LOL

Comment

Sounds like the tps was bad or something. Throttle bodies are throttle bodies really, just a flap of metal in a hole. Nothing to go bad.

Comment

Working...
                      X