No announcement yet.

Need a better cam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

then you wat a cam that runs a little high for a powerband because youll be reving high cause of your gear ratio

Comment

The E really does not have good low end power. They come on about 2500-3000 rpm, despite what they advertise it as.

There's a guy on Corral that runs a 5.0 Volvo with a custom cam thats pretty close to an XE258. He often suggests the 258 for heavier cars. I think he gets like mid 20s for fuel economy and says it has lots of power. The numbers on that cam look really nice for low end power and it should still make poiwer through 5500 or so.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

So the E cams powerband starts around 2500-3000 rpm when does it stop?

Comment

Colin (Mr. Land Yacht) is running an E-cam in his Merc, and he seems to have it pulling strong right up to 6500.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
          1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
          But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

XE264 idle + rev

Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Comp XE270 HR PN 35-351-8
              and
              RHS Pro Action 180cc Heads http://www.racingheadservice.com/Inf...Ford_180cc.asp
              Cast Iron- 35304-02
              Aluminum-35004-02
              Last edited by Grandmarchris; 09-15-2008, 05:51 PM.
              R.I.P Linsey Nelson

'04 M75-"Chocolate Rain" - mid 13 beast
              Originally posted by MeanVic84
              Chocolate Rain. Some stay dry and others feel the pain.

Comment

"Thats what I have now. P/P E7s with a HO cam that has been advanced 4*."

Try retarding that cam 4* and get back to us with the results.

"I was trying to find the 15511 I was told at idle you couldnt tell the difference between a stock cam and it."

Are you trying to hide the lopey cam sound at idle?

What are your local track/class rules?

More info please!!!
                Speed cost....how fast u wanna go??

It's not how much hp u have...
                It's how much hp u can put to the track...

Let's seperate the men from the boys and put that power to the track using street tires and stock suspension components

'Tis infinately better to sit quietly and be thought a fool,
                than to speak and remove all doubt.

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Comment

thats a real nice video mrltd..sounds nice and mean!
                  sigpic
                  1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by SLYDAWG View Post
                    "Thats what I have now. P/P E7s with a HO cam that has been advanced 4*."

Try retarding that cam 4* and get back to us with the results.

"I was trying to find the 15511 I was told at idle you couldnt tell the difference between a stock cam and it."

Are you trying to hide the lopey cam sound at idle?

What are your local track/class rules?

More info please!!!
                    It is a Stock class.

Comment

Thanks Mrltd; now I gotta do some laundry after watching that vid!!!

If you're running a stock class, I'd guess that aftermarket cams are out of the question. Otherwise, I would suggest calling Comp Cams, Crane, or any of the other cam manufacturers, tell them what you want and see what they suggest.

Packman

Comment

You can do an awful lot with that stock HO stick. Advancing the cam will lower the power peak. If you need it to pull longer, try setting it to 0 or retarded 4 degrees. This will cost you a bit of bottom end but with a 4.30 gear that won't matter too much. Keeping the stock cam will keep you from having issues with the ECM and probably from violating the class rules if it mandates stock, though depending on their interpretation of "stock", you're already breaking that.

Depending on how well ported your heads are, they might be hurting you. Improperly ported heads will either do no better than stock, or they might do worse, depending what metal was removed. Big valves are also usually not the best idea on a small inch and near stock motor.

some interesting reading about valve sizes.

What are you running for an intake? exhaust? what converter in the trans? Whats your goal with this, best 1/4 time, consistant bracket times, something else?
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq View Post
                          B and E cam are not SD friendly.

most aftermarket cams have pretty aggressive lift, so you need to be worried about P/V clearence.

HO cam is pretty good, if you advance it 4 degrees.
                          you may be better off advancing the HO cam and getting some ported E7 heads or P heads.
                          if you are worried about the sd system and idle quality, many tuners suggest a 3/8'' hole in the throttle body plate-do it off the car
                          [URL="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3358314"]

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Land Yacht View Post
                            thats a real nice video mrltd..sounds nice and mean!
                            Indeed. I believe I shot that video at SF... I hear myself in the background.

A big car needs a cam with low end grunt, unless you are circle track racing it (which you are, right GilroyRacing?)... where you use the power up high more than anywhere else. 2500-3000 is late for a big car driven on the street/ drag raced.

Local "stock" classes here allow some deviation, I believe.
                            Last edited by P72Ford; 09-19-2008, 09:37 PM.
                            **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                            **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                            **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                            **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

yes, coming out of the turn its around 3500-4000 rpm

Comment

My cam comes on like a light-switch, but definitely doggy below ~2,000RPM, comes on hard north of 2,500RPM.

Take the descriptions of the FMS alphabet cams with a grain of salt......... They have a 2,800-3,200lb Mustang with a stick in it in mind when they make those recommendations......
                                1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

Comment

Working...
                                X