Smog pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smog pump

Does anyone know why there would be antifreeze leakking out of my smog pump? I 've been smelling antifreeze for a week or so from my defrost figured my core is going out. Know this, also I know this is a differt thread ; but my blower keeps commig on & off for my Hvac?? Can't figure that out either blower is fine checked it out. Thanks..Don
    91 w/ 5.0 with eibach springs for a SS Impala ,hd police shocks on front w/big brake uprade,rear shocks for F-150 HD. Dual s w/ glass packs, 15X8 A/R Wheels 5% Tint on rear.http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/...l.php?id=11699sigpic

well, antifreeze smell inside the car sounds like a blown core or maybe a leak under the hood. If the windows are fogging up, suspect the core. If no fog, sounds like a leak and its just sucking the fumes in through the air inlet. There is no coolant plumbing at all to the smog pump, so there is no reason for that to ever leak coolant. The only possible is if a hose or something above the pump is leaking and its running down and dripping off the smog pump. Above the smog pump are 2 hoses at the front of the intake manifold, and the water pump itself that could be the problem.

Do you have ATC? If so, it will switch the blower off in floor position if the coolant temperature is under like 120 degrees or something. Could be that switch is bad, or the connection is bad. That only affects floor position, and only on ATC. If it does it in other modes or if you don't have ATC, suspect a bad connection at the blower resistor, or a bad blower resistor. Also check the connections at the blower motor itself, and at the fan switch in the dash.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

+2 on checking the resistor. I lost med and lo on my car and was thinking I'd end up having to replace the resistor. Just to see what would happen I wiggled the resistor harness a bit, jumped back in the car and all the speeds were back so it was just a loose or dirty connection.
      sigpic
      1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
      Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Oh, the blower resistor is behind the valve cover on the passenger side, on the firewall. Its the plug with 4 or 5 wires going to it.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well the core is bad for sure as I feared. As for the blower it came on so I guess there is a short or loose contact some wheres. I will look at the resister today; wiil probally do the core on Tue since I'm off. Have never done one on a Vic yet I'm sure it's a P.I.T.A...
          Thanks for the help gents..
          91 w/ 5.0 with eibach springs for a SS Impala ,hd police shocks on front w/big brake uprade,rear shocks for F-150 HD. Dual s w/ glass packs, 15X8 A/R Wheels 5% Tint on rear.http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/...l.php?id=11699sigpic

Comment

Good luck mang. Make sure that you chock the wheels so that the car can't run you over.

Comment

Like I said I have never installed a core in a 91 Vic. before.What I 've read on the net is all you have to do is take the the glove box out and the bottom dash panel. The rest is P.I.T.A work I guess. I guess I should mark all the hoses so I don't lose what operates what. A least that's what a gathered about what I read in the threads on it . It seems to be one of the common problems.Anyone done 1 on a 91 yet?? Don

Comment

there are 2 ways. One involves pulling everything from the bottom, the other involves unbolting the dash and pulling it back, and accessing the core from the top. I've done and assisted on the through the top method before. It doesn't require disconnecting any electrical or vacuum lines, where the through the bottom system requires that you unhook the vacuum lines from the air plenum assembly. It also reqires laying under the dash instead of sitting in the seat. Personally I don't find working under the dash very comfortable.

Comment

Working...
                X