Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I Use A Stock Cylinder Block For........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I Use A Stock Cylinder Block For........

............this basic combo?

Stock displacement SCAT cast rotating assembly. Milodon 7 qt. pan with matching high volume oil pump and pickup. AFR 165cc heads and an Edelbrock Performer intake; though I'll have to call them and see if their intake can be turned around, otherwise some other intake. I had a part number for a relatively conservative Comp Cams grind; the only thing I remember was that the cam they suggested only had .471" of lift, tops.

I don't know how much power this combo would make, though I doubt it would require a Sportsman block, right? I am after more torque than anything else. Usually the mishaps I see with the stock blocks are when people put some sort of power adder on them and they split. I am just making some sort of contingency plan in case the lopo decides to retire suddenly.

Packman

Is this a stock stroke crank or a stroker crank? If its stock stroke, you don't need a fancy rotating assembly for that setup. Thats just a relatively mild H/C/I combo that any 302 shortblock will handle. Even at a 347 stroke, you should be fine with a stock block with upgraded fasteners. If it is a stroker though, you mght need a little more head than a 165. You'd probably be in 185 territory.

High volume pumps are a bad idea unless the engine has been specifically built for it. Usually this involves modified oil returns and such to keep the oil from ending up at the top of the motor and staying there. Stock volume pumps are fine for most setups. Same with the oil pan, no need for the extra 2 quarts unless you're spinning the hell out of the motor, or are doing something that poses a risk of oil slosh. The deeper pan is somewhat useful for windage control, but again, unless its a high RPM situation that isn't really a big concern.
    Last edited by gadget73; 10-26-2008, 11:22 PM.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

dont need that fancy crap.....the stock crank is decent

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

the block fails before the stock crank. A standard rebuild with some upgraded fastenerfs would be fine with that setup.
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

This would be a stock stroke build. I would do a 331, but I am going to keep the displacement stock for MPG sake. I figured that when I get another block that I would drill out the oil return if it has excessive casting flash. We've done it on other engines, so I sorta thought that it was an automatic mod when it's already apart. The SCAT rotating assembly is only $800 and is a lot cheaper than some other kits that I have considered in the past. I figured that I would get a block from the JY and seal it in a plastic cargo crate (from Home Depot or sumtin) until I need to build it. The engine will just be a performance replacement for the lopo that will see the track 2-4 times a year. This is of course, if the lopo fails.

Packman

Comment

Stock rotating assembly comes with a complete engine for 200 bucks though. Much cheaper than $800.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              Stock rotating assembly comes with a complete engine for 200 bucks though. Much cheaper than $800.

What rotating assembly is only 200 bux?

Packman

Comment

only costs 100 bucks to have a stock crank turned......engine kit with pistons is 3 bills

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
                  What rotating assembly is only 200 bux?

Packman
                  The one that comes in a used stock junkyard engine block.

Comment

I would put a main girdle on top of the main bearing caps, just for insurance...

Comment

Working...
                    X