Why does it stay on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does it stay on?

so today was the coldest day of the month, thus saying winter has come.a brisk 32*F.the car is in the garage as usual.i turn the key and and the fuel pump prime noise comes from the back as usual, but now, it stays on after i turn the key off.This happened last year when it got cold and it would turn off after like 10-15 minutes after i turned the car off it also turns off like that now.Im just wondering, whats the problem?i changed the starter solenoid a few months ago.Is it going to wear out something or drain my battery?
    Last edited by Jonsey; 10-27-2008, 09:07 AM.
    sigpic-The Crown(Kodiak)1989,150K Miles,5.0LOpo,autolamps,slicktop,power windows and locks,yet still not good enough to be LX:confused:

sounds like the fuel pump relay is sticking
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

is that an expensive part?and where is it located?
      sigpic-The Crown(Kodiak)1989,150K Miles,5.0LOpo,autolamps,slicktop,power windows and locks,yet still not good enough to be LX:confused:

Comment

not expensive, it's under the hood, on the drivers side fender near the washer fluid reservoir, there are three relays there. The green one is for the fuel pump.

Comment

hmm ok.so could the temp be whats making it stick?Because it only does it in cold temps

Comment

Cold temps could easily cause the relay to stick.
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

so i should replace it then.i went outside and turned the key and it stayed on, but this time i tapped the relay and it stopped lol.Is that wierd or am i just dumb

Comment

That's a definitive result then. Time to replace it. Tapping it will jar it loose and let is open again so that the pump turns off.

Comment

yeah, tapping the relay un-stuck it. It needs to be replaced. Its probably a less than $20 part.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                  X