Need a lil help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a lil help

Being in Miami it rains constantly, I drove through a flooded street the other day and ever since I have a strange noise coming form what seems to be my right front tire, its a metalic grinding noise, the best way I can describe it, its almost like the brakes are worn really bad and ur getting caliper to rotor grinding, but I know thats not the problem cuz i just put new pads and rotors. Im guessing its the bearings on the axel,cuz the noise only happens when im moving and not pressing the brakes, if it is the bearings how hard is that to change?

4thPanther..03 MGM LS
    previous panthers: 87 MGM, 85 CV 2 DOOR, 89 MGM.

probably wouldnt hurt to repack the bearings after an inspection of them seeing if they are good. just need to remove wheel, unbolt caliper, and pop off center cap from the rotor assembly. remove the cotter pin, take the hub nut off and the rotor should come off. be careful since there is front and back bearings in there when removing. be good idea to check other side also
    Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

If it's groaning all the time the car is moving, then you probably got wheel bearing problems. How deep was this water you went through? Never hurts to check and repack the bearings anyway, do I'd go ahead and do it if you've been through some deep water. Might also want to change the rear axle fluid if the back end got in water as well.

What happens to the sound as speed increases?

Remember when repacking that everything must be clean. No dust particles, no rust, no dirt anywhere. Clean the bearings with kerosene and inspect and replace them if nessesary. Also look at the races (where the bearing runs) on the rotor, and look at the spindle where the bearing rides and check for any damage. If everything checks out okay, repack and reassemble. Remember not to tighten down the retaining nut tight: spin the rotor and gradually snug it just a little. It's a feel thing that's hard to describe.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Bearings only get messed up in water if you run through it a lot like me. Takes like an hour to do per side. Maybe more if youve never done it or the race welded to the spindle. Jack the car up pull em anyway. Ussually they make funny noises right before they weld.
        1989 Grand Marquis LS
        flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

the noise doesnt get louder it happens usually right when i take off, around 35 mph and also around 55 mph, its not constant, but thanks 4 all the tips guys, I see what my next project is, along with installing all the MSD goodies i just ordered.

4thPanther..03 MGM LS

Comment

beat the crap out of it till the noise goes away..
            Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Turns out it was a lil metal bullshit that was vibrating on my suspension, came right off..lol

4thPanther..03 MGM LS

Comment

I've seen that and once I had a screw get stuck in my brake pads that mad an awful sound. FOD's a bitch.
                1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
                2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X