New GT40P springs ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New GT40P springs ???

My dad and i r finally thinking about getting a custom cam made for our merc, and when we buy it, why not just change the stock explorer springs while we're at it.
    Or would the stock ones be good enough, because i remember u guys saying they're crap, and some say that they aint bad.

So i was wondering what would be a good spring for the GT40P head, would double springs be necessary or waste of money ??? i dont rly know what to look for on springs
    ---1990 Lincon LSC., 5.0 H.O., 55,000 ORIG. miles, 3:73 Posi, Bullit rims, 3G alt., 2.5" full-back exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, Flowmaster mufflers. My DD
    ---1985 Grand Marquis 2-door., Fresh 5.0, slick-top, GT40P's, 1.7 RR's, FRPP headers, 3G alt., Weiand Stealth intake, 650 cfm holley, 2.5" side-exit exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, 3:55 Posi, Bucket seats, custom center console. My Toy

Anyone who says they are fine is an idiot.

I just tossed a cheap TFS replacement kit on mine. Seem to do fine for what I'm doing. The cam grinder should recommend springs too.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

ok i will ask my dad to talk to the guy tomorrow.

and im trying to talk my dad into having the heads decked. i think its only $60 if IIRC.
      but would decking them really help in boosting HP, or will it just help out the compression.
      and what would be a good decking, because i heard if u go too much u have to have ur intake shaved too.

or would it be a waste to have a cam, decked heads, and all that on a moderatley stock engine ???
      ---1990 Lincon LSC., 5.0 H.O., 55,000 ORIG. miles, 3:73 Posi, Bullit rims, 3G alt., 2.5" full-back exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, Flowmaster mufflers. My DD
      ---1985 Grand Marquis 2-door., Fresh 5.0, slick-top, GT40P's, 1.7 RR's, FRPP headers, 3G alt., Weiand Stealth intake, 650 cfm holley, 2.5" side-exit exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, 3:55 Posi, Bucket seats, custom center console. My Toy

Comment

P heads don't have big combustion chambers, so shaving them isn't really neccesary. It will bump the compression ratio up, and it might possibly cause p2v clearance concerns depending on the cam and it may also demand higher octane fuel and/or less timing. Personally I wouldn't bother, the slight increase in horsepower you'd get from the extra compression probably isn't worth it.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Bowmang, your best bet is to get the new springs (I got the same trickflow kit as Mike) and start building yourself another shortblock. Not sure what kinda compression you're running with stock slugs on one of those.
          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Bowmang, your best bet is to get the new springs (I got the same trickflow kit as Mike) and start building yourself another shortblock. Not sure what kinda compression you're running with stock slugs on one of those.
            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Working...
            X