LOPO/Explorer Mix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOPO/Explorer Mix

Is it possible to use the lopo block and rotating assembly with Explorer heads, cam, and intake. And will that combination run good with a Mark 7 computer without mass air?
    [SIGPIC]

It all should work with the stock lopo shortblock. Legend says the lopo converted engines run the best! Also, the 19# injectors/mark 7 ECM are what a couple of people are using with the exploder cam. Seems to work well, I know Thain's runs pretty good.

Just remember, if you've got GT40P heads, you're limited to the FRPP headers, or those retarded looking and restrictive manifold shits the exploders use. Good luck!
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

it will work.....as long as you use the explorer or the ho cam
      welcome to gmn!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Thanks! Is there a parts number for the headers?
        [SIGPIC]

Comment

I heard that OEM Fox Mustang headers worked okay with the P heads, but I don't know for sure.

Reguardless, these are supposed to fit http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT View Post
            It all should work with the stock lopo shortblock. Legend says the lopo converted engines run the best! Also, the 19# injectors/mark 7 ECM are what a couple of people are using with the exploder cam. Seems to work well, I know Thain's runs pretty good.

Just remember, if you've got GT40P heads, you're limited to the FRPP headers, or those retarded looking and restrictive manifold shits the exploders use. Good luck!
            Would that be due to the increased compression?

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

The P heads have different spark plug angles, so the different headers are needed to actually be able to connect plug wires. There are other headers that work if you use different plug wires and a shorty plug or two, but the proper headers aren't that expensive, and they fit really nicely.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

A few more questions:

Do I need the Explorer fuel regulator?
                Can I use the stock lifters and pushrods with the Explorer cam?
                Do all years of Mark VII SEFI computers work?

Thanks
                [SIGPIC]

Comment

the ones that have an HO motor

Comment

Is there a way I can tell if it is an HO? I get my parts at the local U-wrench it.
                    [SIGPIC]

Comment

LSC, the HO intake plate.... the computer Code.... lots of ways. D9S or DY3 IIRC
                      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

computer code is on the plug part of the computer. You're gonna have Speed Density or Mass Air?

Comment

Originally posted by Nascarboatnerd View Post
                          Can I use the stock lifters and pushrods with the Explorer cam?
                          Yes.... same stuff....
                          You need to check your lifter preload when you bolt your rockers down any time you change heads......

Comment

just a heads up as i just completed this modification. waggon runs great and has a hell of a lot more power, but i haven't been able to figure out why it's running so rich yet. i'm only getting 9 - 10 mpg, and i've got raw fuel coming out the tailpipes.

so far, no luck in figuring out why...

not saying you shouldn't do it, but when you're dealing with a mishmash of junkyard parts with questionable origin / quality... it can lead to some really frustrating troubleshooting.
                            1986 Ford Contry Squire: HO engine swap, 3G alternator, 3.73 gears, rear air springs, Class III 8000 lb hitch... potential tow rig for my Blazer trail toy??

Comment

I want to run speed density. Would it be possible to use the Explorer computer and wiring harness?
                              [SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                              X