No announcement yet.

LOPO/Explorer Mix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Explorer does not use a distributor so the systems are not readily combined. It would be far more trouble than it is worth.

Comment

Originally posted by mitymerc View Post
      Would that be due to the increased compression?
      I could be WAY wrong here (I usually am) but arent the pistons in a stock LOPO dished?

So wouldn't that give you LOWER compression? I always thought flattop, or domed pistons increased compression?

Please, someone re-educate me on this.
      People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. ~ George Orwell

1990 Crown Vic, 2006 Ford Fusion, 2003 Ranger

Comment

Originally posted by fordktpjoe View Post
        I could be WAY wrong here (I usually am) but arent the pistons in a stock LOPO dished?

So wouldn't that give you LOWER compression? I always thought flattop, or domed pistons increased compression?

Please, someone re-educate me on this.
        lopos are flat top
        Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by cld783 View Post
          lopos are flat top
          Uh .... when was the last time you pulled your E6 heads and found flattop pistons under them?

Most if not all original Windsor motors, as factory installed in Panthers, were equipped with cast dished pistons.
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

The dish is less volume than the valve reliefs I think. Also the gt40's have smaller chambers as well, thereby making the compression higher.
            1989 Grand Marquis LS
            flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Originally posted by Nascarboatnerd View Post
              I want to run speed density. Would it be possible to use the Explorer computer and wiring harness?
              Practically, no. The Explorer ECM is also mass air. What you want is a Mark VII ECM. Its speed density and will plug into the existing wiring harness with no mods.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                Uh .... when was the last time you pulled your E6 heads and found flattop pistons under them?

Most if not all original Windsor motors, as factory installed in Panthers, were equipped with cast dished pistons.
                sorry

I keep forgetting not everyone has an 86..
                Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

'86 low-pos used flattops? I thought that was only the '86 HO.

Oh, and SP: depends on which GT40 heads. '96 Explorer F3ZEs are typically 67cc, larger than an E7, while 5.0 Cobra F1ZEs are about 61cc. '97-'99 "P" heads are roughly the same as E7s, as I recall.

Comment

Yes but the E6 has big chambers. Not sure on the cc on them but I do know for a fact the valve seats are 1/8th higher in the chamber than a E7 or GT40. Meaning instead of .500 lift on a converted motor, you can run .625 lift on a stocker. Just need some massive port work done to the heads.
                    1989 Grand Marquis LS
                    flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

.... that, and completely change the shape of the chamber, or it won't flow jack no matter what.

Comment

The chamber shape isnt that bad really, its everything else. I still have faith in the e6 heads. I'm not sure why. Stock for stock an e7 doesnt flow all that much better than an e6 anyway from what Ive been told. Never found flow numbers for an e6.
                        1989 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

The E6 heads aren't completely horrible, they're great for making low end torque. As much of the turd performance comes from the horrible camshaft as anything else, but the heavy valve shrouding from that high swirl chamber also messes with high rpm performance. Ported, I bet they'd actually not do too bad, but it might make for a better truck head.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'd like to get another set to try porting on. I think they'd do great for me.
                            1989 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Working...
                            X