help diagnosing starting problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help diagnosing starting problem

i had the battery checked a couple weeks ago and it tested bad so i figured id put it off. left my headlights on overnight for first time in my life. tried to jump the car and no luck, dash lights nothing would even come on. i bought a new battery and all the dash lights, gauges, etc came on, and i turned the key and it sounded like it was going to turn on but it didnt. it wasnt the click click click noise either, it actually sounded like it was going to start. i have over half a tank of fuel in there if that matters.. any culprits anything i can check? i know i havent given much info but does anyone know where to start.. 1986 302 by the way..

Do you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key to on? Do you have spark?
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by eightysixwinter View Post
      i had the battery checked a couple weeks ago and it tested bad so i figured id put it off. left my headlights on overnight for first time in my life. tried to jump the car and no luck, dash lights nothing would even come on. i bought a new battery and all the dash lights, gauges, etc came on, and i turned the key and it sounded like it was going to turn on but it didnt. it wasnt the click click click noise either, it actually sounded like it was going to start. i have over half a tank of fuel in there if that matters.. any culprits anything i can check? i know i havent given much info but does anyone know where to start.. 1986 302 by the way..
      You should hear the fuel pump run for like 2 seconds and then shut off. If you don't hear that, pop the trunk, check the inertia switch on the left side of the trunk by the hinge of the lid. It's a black box with a white button. Make sure that button is in. Then try to start it again. If the fuel pump engages, it's a spark problem.

Comment

one of the connections to the msd box ripped, i taped the wires together and the car started. but the battery didn't fit, i guess my stupid little brother told the guys at the autoparts store that i had a 98 grand marquis. anyway i went back, got the battery for an 86, it fit. but now the car won't start again.. it seems like the battery is just really low, because the dash lights come on now but the car won't turn over... is it possible this new battery i got sat on the shelf so long that it's dead...?(i do hear the fuel pump when i turn the key)
        Last edited by eightysixwinter; 12-14-2008, 01:36 AM.

Comment

Make sure whatever wires you taped up are still taped up.
          Pull your starter and have it checked at your car parts store. They have a bench tester to test it with.
          Originally posted by gadget73
          There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
          91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
          93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
          Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
          Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
          95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Possible the battery is low, but more likely your battery cables are in bad shape. They corrode internally and develop high resistance. If charging the battery doesn't fix the problem, check or replace the cables.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
            X