New Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Engine

Well, after much thinking, I have decided to replace the engine in my 91 Crown Vic P-72. We had figured out that the clatter in the engine was a lifter. I had thought about installing lifters, and valve guide seals while we had it torn down... But I decided because of the milage on the engine, (Almost 200,000 miles) I would go ahead and put a new one in. Especially since I am making enough money right now to afford it. Might as well take care of it now! I'm going to buy the engine from Advance Auto Parts, since I used to work there, my old manager is giving me a huge discount. Also, unlike if I rebuilt it myself, it will have a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty. I know SOMEONE will try to say the engines from them are junk, and not to buy them... and all of that, but The entire time I worked there, we never had one come back... And the commercial parts guy has NEVER seen one come back. And he has been there at least 8 years. Besides, I want a good STOCK engine... I don't need a horsepower monster!
    I'm also going to go to the junk yard and get another intake and Plenum, and have both sand or soda blasted, and powder coated... I'm going to do the same thing with the all of the brackets for the A/C, alternator, and power steering brackets. I may also get a set of manifolds, and have them sandblasted and coated with the Eastwood manifold coating... So the engine compartment will look like new for this years Chicago Emergency Vehicle Show...
    The guy that is putting the new engine in for me has done hundreds of the 302's in Crown vics... he works for the local Yellow cab. He figures it will take him about 5 hours to replace the engine. (He says even with some time in case we run into some minor problems...) I will also be having him replace both motor mounts, since the engine will be out, And he will give me some time to clean up the engine compartment with a hose and some purple power... While he puts the parts on the engine...
    So hopefully sometime next month, or the month after, the car will be sporting a new engine!

Tom...

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Sweet!!!! Enjoy it mang!!! Pics when your done.

Packman

Comment

Sounds like a plan to me. 200,000 is a lot of miles, reguardless of how well something has been taken care of.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

i strongly reccomend you order a high output 302 longblock since you are swapping the engine anyway.......65 hp makes a big difference.......headers are not absolutely needed.....i've done ho conversions with cast iron manifolds

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
          i strongly reccomend you order a high output 302 longblock since you are swapping the engine anyway.......65 hp makes a big difference.......headers are not absolutely needed.....i've done ho conversions with cast iron manifolds
          I know it'd be way more expensive, but I've been thinking, instead of a junkyard explorer engine, could a fella just order a crate explorer engine? Don't crate engines come with the lower and upper intakes, throttle bodies, and stuff already on them? I could be wrong, it damn fer sure wouldn't be the first time!
          People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. ~ George Orwell

1990 Crown Vic, 2006 Ford Fusion, 2003 Ranger

Comment

well there were two brand new crate motor explorer engines installed in boxes that i know of.......yes they came with everything, and they were 1750 ea shipped, but the timing covers needed to be swapped and the oil pan, the oil filter adaptor removed and a piece for the oil filter installed, the gt40 and gt40p heads do not have thermacor passages in the heads...

tom to install a longblock ho 302....besides the engine you will need:
            19lb injectors
            ho upper intake
            ho throttle body
            lopo egr spacer bored to 63mm
            ho ecm form a 88-92 lincoln mark VII (need a mk7 ecm to keep your cruise if you have it)
            this stuff is pretty inexpensive either at the yards or from mustang guys
            i have most of these parts too if you are interested

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Thanks for the offer for the H.O. stuff... but I want to do this car stock. If I want to go fast, I'll drive the 84, which already has the H.O. in it... And soon to have a four barrel intake and carb installed in it..... So it will be PLENTY fast enough for me....

Besides, the guy doing the swap will not have the time to do much "converting", without charging me more to put the engine in... He is only charging me $500.00 for the swap...

Oh, and another thing that will be done is a transmission shift kit...

Tom....

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
              Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

Also, the HO engine is more durable/smoother, due to the HO firing order. They don't get the "lopo knock".
                1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT View Post
                  Also, the HO engine is more durable/smoother, due to the HO firing order. They don't get the "lopo knock".
                  Don't you mean miss?

Comment

the firing order of a 289/302 creates the rod knock in a lot of lopo and truck engines. The HO/351 firing order doesn't do this.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                    X