Questions about 1.6:1 rocker arms on stock 351W

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about 1.6:1 rocker arms on stock 351W

ok....first off...what do you think the stock rocker arm ratio in my 91 351W would be? and are they bolt on type? i got a set of 1.6:1 ford racing roller rockers i wanna put on it that came out of my dads 95 cobra but idk if its worth the time and if it would be safe when not knowing piston to valve clearance. would there be any noticeable gain in power or sound? and yeah its on my wrecked p72. i aint done shit to it yet. found a civilian '91 thats pristine other than its 302 is blown. a simple engine/trans swap and id be on my way. the owner is good friends with my boss and hes a crown vic/ford fanatic too...he has several vics. so hopefully im gunna be able to get it for a low price. but anyways...the rocker arms...good idea? and also why the fuck when i start my p72 up from when its cold and cold outside it dumps TONS of water vapor out the tailpipes....and tons of black carbon like crap. it leaves black almost burnout looking marks on the ground every time.

1991 Ford P72 -- stock 351 windsor, edelbrock Performer 351W intake, edelbrock 600cfm carb, and enough sound system to numb your ear drums

stock is 1.6. cobras should have 1.7s. shouldnt be a problem with ptv clearance.

water is a byproduct of combustion. black soot is too. nothing terribly unusual about that.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

water vapor is actually a good sign. during combustion under ideal conditions your only two by products will be water and carbon dioxide. you wee the water vapor when it is cold and dry outside. so the more the better, provided that it is water vapor and not coolant.
      http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
      http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

wow that sucks...so ill just be gaining the roller rocker part. i didnt realise the 351W already had 1.6:1 ratio rockers. my dads cobra is a clone actually...95 gts auto but if you didnt know that cobras didnt come auto then you wouldnt know the difference.

1991 Ford P72 -- stock 351 windsor, edelbrock Performer 351W intake, edelbrock 600cfm carb, and enough sound system to numb your ear drums

Comment

If you're leaving big soot clouds under the tails then your choke is probably screwed as they are with most VV carbs. Linkage and CER wears and nothing you can really do about it.
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
          X