A couple questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple questions

Last night after I got off work it was about 23 degrees outside, so I fire up and head for the house, and I could swear the ol' vic was running MUCH better than it usually does.

Is it just my dreaming, or does cold weather make one run better because of sort of a natural "cold air intake" effect? 1990 lopo all factory intake pipes and stuff.

Second, I noticed the other day while driving that the AOD seems to be making the car bog, or lug, or whatever term you want to use, when it's in OD. I adjusted the TV cable as per the directions on this site, and it was fine for a few months. I am assuming the old girl is just getting old and weak.

It just doesn't seem to like to shift out of OD until I really shove the pedal down.

So I been driving around in D unless I am cruising on a freeway above 65 or 70, but once I start up a long grade in cruise, it'll lose, maybe 10 mph before it'll drop into D on it's own. Sometimes cruise will just shut off on it's own, unless I manually shift into D, then the cruise will stay on.

Assuming that D is a 1 to 1 ratio, and my gears are 2.73, (I checked, they are). I should be OK driving in D right? Sure, It'll burn more fuel, but it seems WAY more responsive in drive as opposed to overdrive, and doesn't seem to be "hunting" for the right gear all the time.

Drive seems to keep it in the power band it likes to be in. OD seems to be WAY too high a gear for it.

Would a steeper gear help? like maybe 3.55 or 3.73?
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. ~ George Orwell

1990 Crown Vic, 2006 Ford Fusion, 2003 Ranger

gears would help alot
    sounds like it could use a little more tv pressure
    no you wont hurt it running in drive
    the cruise shutting off on its own is mostlikely a vacuum leak....check the soup can
    yes they run better in the cold than they do in the hot

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

not to thread jack or anything i just got a few simple questions: Since my A/C dosent work anyway i can just take the belt off and the smog pump will be fine?are there any benefits like horsepower or anything by taking that belt off?
      sigpic-The Crown(Kodiak)1989,150K Miles,5.0LOpo,autolamps,slicktop,power windows and locks,yet still not good enough to be LX:confused:

Comment

It may actually burn less gas in d instead of od. My 91 has the same gears and burns less around town in d. As far as downshifting its just the nature of these cars.
        1989 Grand Marquis LS
        flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

According to the 91 owner's manual, the cruise will deactivate itself if it falls below a certain speed below set speed
          Originally posted by gadget73
          There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
          91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
          93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
          Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
          Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
          95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Originally posted by Jonsey View Post
            not to thread jack or anything i just got a few simple questions: Since my A/C dosent work anyway i can just take the belt off and the smog pump will be fine?are there any benefits like horsepower or anything by taking that belt off?
            Nothing significant. It won't hurt, but I doubt you'll notice it helping anything either.

Second, I noticed the other day while driving that the AOD seems to be making the car bog, or lug, or whatever term you want to use, when it's in OD. I adjusted the TV cable as per the directions on this site, and it was fine for a few months. I am assuming the old girl is just getting old and weak.

It just doesn't seem to like to shift out of OD until I really shove the pedal down.
            Give it more pressure, the stock tv pressure settings are way too low in my opinion. Mine won't shift into overdrive until 50 under light throttle, and I have 3.55 gears. It feels quite nice there, it also will downshift if I hit the gas without needing to stand on the floor to make it do something. The first thing I did to my Mark VII after I got it was give it more pressure. I'd forgotten how shitty feeling an AOD is in stock setting mode. I used a black zip tie and put it between the metal crimp on the end of the cable and the plastic straw that the adjuster block sits on. Its a handy way to see what just a bit more feels like without having to fiddle with the cable settings. If you don't like it, just remove the zip tie.
            Last edited by gadget73; 02-17-2009, 07:51 PM.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That's a good idea Thain. Hey Fordktpjoe, how long does it take your car to go into drive when you shift the transmission into drive?

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                That's a good idea Thain. Hey Fordktpjoe, how long does it take your car to go into drive when you shift the transmission into drive?
                If you mean when I first drop it in from park to drive?

It's almost instantaneous.....less than a second.

When I manually drop it from OD to D...maybe a second and a half, maybe 2 seconds, it depends on how fast I am going. I never really timed it, but it doesn't take too long, I'll pay attention this afternoon on my way to work, and let you know when I get home tomorrow morning.

Thanks fellas.

Joe
                People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. ~ George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  I used a black zip tie and put it between the metal crimp on the end of the cable and the plastic straw that the adjuster block sits on. Its a handy way to see what just a bit more feels like without having to fiddle with the cable settings. If you don't like it, just remove the zip tie.
                  So if I understand correctly, what I want to do here is basically pull the cable out so that a bit of it sticks out past the adjustment block, then put a zip tie in there to hold it out, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by fordktpjoe View Post
                    So if I understand correctly, what I want to do here is basically pull the cable out so that a bit of it sticks out past the adjustment block, then put a zip tie in there to hold it out, correct?
                    Yup.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                      Ok, here's the straight skinny.

from park to OD, or D is instant.

A manual downshift (using the lever) from OD to D takes one second.

drop from OD to D, count "one one thousand" and it shifts.

Ima bump the pressure with the zip tie and see what happens.

Comment

I would agree with this 100%. The first time I bumped the TV pressure, it was like driving a completely different car. I was amazed at the difference.
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                        91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                        93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                        Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                        Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                        95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Working...
                        X