Sending unit......or something

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sending unit......or something

My gas gauge does not work, and we (me and my father) know its not the wiring, so that leaves the sending unit. We tried calling NAPA and a couple other auto parts stores and they all say they cant get a sending unit. I cant contact the Ford dealer till Monday (parts counter is closed), but is the sending unit even what part I need, or could it be something like the float??
    -2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor - Daily Driver - 17" Bullitt's, 235/55/17 Goodyear Eagles, Ex-NH State Police, best 1/4 mile time; 15.3 @ 90 mph
    -1987 Crown Victoria 2-Door - Project - 90k miles, Summit chambered muffler, Sunpro gauges, parked since 2010, fate tbd

Whats it doing exactly, and how have you ruled out the wiring, the guage, and the regulator in the dash?
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Is the "low fuel" warning lamp lit? Mine's been lit for a year now and the gas guage doesn't work either. I'm going to get behind the glove compartment and see if it isn't my low fuel switch before I go and tackle the fuel pump/sending unit.

Packman

Comment

try teamfordparts.com for a sending unit mang

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

have you checked all 20a fuses in the panel? have you reversed the plug to the sending unit to see if the needle pegs full?

if everything else checks out i'd pull the unit and inspect the float.
          Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by cld783 View Post
            have you checked all 20a fuses in the panel? have you reversed the plug to the sending unit to see if the needle pegs full?

if everything else checks out i'd pull the unit and inspect the float.
            Ditto. I bought a new unit, only to find the float was bad. I replaced it anyway, since I had it out, and put the old one on the shalf, juat in case.
            Mike

Comment

i had the same problem it was the float got a hole in it and filled with gas i took it ut and used jb weld to seal it you just got to wait 7 hrs to put it back in the tank and the best part is you dont have to drop the gas tank i did it while it was parked on my street

Comment

Woah! Can I buy a period or a comma in there somewhere?

87DeuceVic, have you yanked your sender and tested it with an ohmmeter? Should read between 73 and 10 Ohms.

PICKUP6772, where did you buy your sending unit? My Ford dealer a while back told me all pre-whatever sending units were unobtainable.
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

The gauge is just sitting at empty, the way its been since I bought the car . And yes the "low fuel" light is on. I crossed the wires and the gauge went to full. And my Ford dealer said they cant get just the float. I went ahead and ordered a sending unit, $100.
                  Last edited by 87DeuceVic; 05-19-2009, 01:43 PM.
                  -2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor - Daily Driver - 17" Bullitt's, 235/55/17 Goodyear Eagles, Ex-NH State Police, best 1/4 mile time; 15.3 @ 90 mph
                  -1987 Crown Victoria 2-Door - Project - 90k miles, Summit chambered muffler, Sunpro gauges, parked since 2010, fate tbd

Comment

Interesting. Is that only for injected sedans or something? I got really funny looks when I wanted one for a carb'd wagon.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                      Woah! Can I buy a period or a comma in there somewhere?

87DeuceVic, have you yanked your sender and tested it with an ohmmeter? Should read between 73 and 10 Ohms.

PICKUP6772, where did you buy your sending unit? My Ford dealer a while back told me all pre-whatever sending units were unobtainable.

I got mine from FORD. The part # is: EOLY-9275-B. Note that I got it a few years ago, and in fact may no longer be available.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                        Interesting. Is that only for injected sedans or something? I got really funny looks when I wanted one for a carb'd wagon.
                        What year wagon? If it was originaly an injected car, then that's what you have to order it for. But, on the otherhand, if it's a canadian car, with the 5.8 carb'ed engine, then you have to let then know that, too.

Mike

Comment

I was shopping for a '79 sender/pickup at the time, as that was the only year I knew for sure would fit what I needed. I ended up cutting apart the stock sender and modding it with a pickup tube, though most recently I was using the one I took out of my '79 when it went away.

Comment

My 87 TC has the same problem. Is on empty , light on all the time. Will have to see if mine is the same thing. Worked half the time when i bought the car.
                            Last edited by 87Lincoln; 05-24-2009, 06:57 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X