Complete explorer gt40 package questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Complete explorer gt40 package questions

I've got some questions about the gt40 setup from an explorer. I've been doing a ton of reading tonight but can't seem to find the answers for these questions.

1. What, if anything, needs to be done to swap the complete gt40 intake setup onto a ho 302? I think I read something about shorter valve covers but I can't find the post I was reading.

2. Can I use the mustang tb and bored out lopo egr spacer with the gt40 upper? Would it be worth it to go with the explorer tb and spacer?

3. Are all the bolt holes for accessoies in the same place on the gt40 heads?

4. What kind of power numbers can I expect from the gt40 heads and intake swap on a HO?

Thanks.
    1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0 H.O.

1: stock valve covers will fit
    2: no you need a 93-95 lightning egr spacer or you need to mod a mustang 65mm one for the throttle/tv cable bracket
    3: yes.....gt40 heads do not have air passages in the heads tho
    4: 30-50 hp? depends on what you have for exhaust, how it's tuned, etc

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

2. So the bored out lopo egr spacer that I have now won't work. Whats different about the mustang or lightning spacer?

4. My car as it sits has the HO swap and dynomax shorties into 2 1/2" duals with turbo thrush mufflers dumped before the axle.
      1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0 H.O.

Comment

Originally posted by jm8881 View Post
        2. So the bored out lopo egr spacer that I have now won't work. Whats different about the mustang or lightning spacer?

4. My car as it sits has the HO swap and dynomax shorties into 2 1/2" duals with turbo thrush mufflers dumped before the axle.
        just to ask why didnt you just get the whole motor and swap that in? if you want to really add some horsies you have to save up for some AFR 165 heads
        at anyrate im doing explorer swap this summer and ill let ya know how it goes i have a ton of info on just that motor alone lol
        89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

88grandmarq tried to use a bored egr spacer with an explorer upper and it would not seal.....not enough sealing surface there....iirc the explorer intake opening is 67mm

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by jm8881 View Post
            I think these pics are what you're after to explain the differences

Basically the Lightning one has both the Panther throttle cable bracket stuff and the Mustang ones. If you're somewhat handy, you should be able to fab up something to mount the stock brackets to and hang them off a Mustang unit, or get more creative and re-route the cables and have them pull the throttle the other way, using an un-modified Mustang throttle body. I think smoke'n'rattle did this on his car, pics are probably somewhere on here.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
            X