Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

As I save for my Duals, I'm wondering....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by King_V View Post
    Ok, take this with a boulder of salt, but I could've sworn I read somewhere, I think in the letters/questions section of a fairly recent issue of either Car Craft or Hot Rod, that as far as flow goes, glasspacks blow chunks relative to most aftermarket mufflers.

I have ZERO data to back this, and I am, in fact, relying on my not-all-that-spectacular memory.
    I love reading that in magazines. Some Cherry bomb ones don't, Flowtech ones don't(they sound better though) and Thrush are the identical perf tube design to Magnaflow, Dynomax Ultra flow etc. so they "should" flow just as well as a comparable length muffler.

Straight pipes after the cats should be fine on these cars as well. Mine runs like ass at the best of times but I noticed a nice gain going to true duals(no H) with just a pair of glasspacks up by the transmission, the tails went straight back into a 45 degree bend to exit before the tires. Noise wasn't that bad in the car either.
    Last edited by 351m; 07-19-2009, 12:27 AM.
    1990 LTD Crown Vic w/ dead 5.0
    1984 Pontiac 6000 cammed 2.5L Iron Duke
    1986 F-150 300 6cyl 5spd.
    1994 Crown Vic... Free, bad trans?

Comment

Not being an engineer, I don't really understand why glasspacks would have poor flow values, but I'm not going to say its bullshit either. If you've ever seen one, you can look straight through the things. Its a pipe with some perforated holes, and a wrap of fiberglass sound deadner on the outside. I guess maybe because the dimples stick into the pipe it causes turbulence or something?

Don't honestly care for the sound myself, but I do make an effort to put decently quiet mufflers on my cars, and I keep the converters so they don't get loud. They aren't at stock levels of silence, but its not much worse. I have an ear thing thats really aggravated by exposure to loud noise for prolonged periods, so I make efforts where practical to not do that to myself.

In a more practical sense, fitting a glasspack can be tricky without custom exhaust. If you look at where the stock pipes sit, you need an offset/offset muffler to mate from the H to the tailpipes. The glasspack ends up at an angle, requiring a funky angle bend at each end to mate the H to the tail.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        The glasspack ends up at an angle, requiring a funky angle bend at each end to mate the H to the tail.
        ... thus the list of part numbers I posted a few days ago. Not sure how much total offset they give, but they'll let you get a lot closer to a stock configuration without huge hassles than a regular straight glasspack.
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I had offset glasspacks on my '88 P72. They fit well, but were alot more $$ than conventional glasspacks.
          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Right, that would be my biggest concern when ordering the special glasspacks. Seems the old wisdom was that glasspacks helped save money, but I don't see the point if you're able to get a deal on a more sophisticated muffler like I did.

Comment

Originally posted by King_V View Post
              Ok, take this with a boulder of salt, but I could've sworn I read somewhere, I think in the letters/questions section of a fairly recent issue of either Car Craft or Hot Rod, that as far as flow goes, glasspacks blow chunks relative to most aftermarket mufflers.

I have ZERO data to back this, and I am, in fact, relying on my not-all-that-spectacular memory.
              Even if that were true, they'll still walk all over stock mufflers as far as flow is concerned. Even the worst flowing aftermarket muffler, the 3 chamber Flowmaster flows better than stock, not by much but noticable on a dyno.

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
              I still say Dynomax Super Turbos are a great solution for a comparatively unobtrusive performance exhaust that still sounds good.
              I prefer the Ultraflo Welded, has the best flow numbers of all their mufflers and is still a very quiet and deep toned muffler. It's pretty much exactly like a Magnaflow, only not stainless.
              Last edited by 88Vic; 07-22-2009, 06:05 PM.
              88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
              Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

well, almost anything flows better than stock mufflers. Stockers are designed to make things quiet, and they were designed to do that in as cheap a manner as possible. None of that equates to good performance.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
                  I prefer the Ultraflo Welded, has the best flow numbers of all their mufflers and is still a very quiet and deep toned muffler. It's pretty much exactly like a Magnaflow, only not stainless.
                  Which is to say, you like spending a lot more than necessary on loud mufflers for your low-horespower street vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                    Which is to say, you like spending a lot more than necessary on loud mufflers for your low-horespower street vehicle.

.......Which is kind-of why I was asking about glasspacks.
                    I really like magnaflows......but I know they are pricey.

I got a couple days off next week and I plan to FINALLY get my butt over to my usual exhaust place. I want to take a look at what kind of glasspacks they use. Apparently there are some kinds with louvers in them and others that are more straight though.....and I want to see if they carry the straight though kind.

I just need an idea of total cost......because bills and this economy are killin' my fun........and it doesn't help that the single exhaust on my car is in great shape. Kind-of makes it hard to justify.
                    Former panther owner
                    1981 CV 351 4bbl
                    1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

Duals are badass but I was gung-ho for them once and went as far as setting up appointments, but it never seemed to work out (something always came up) and now I learned that single with a nice muffler can be "cool" to. And believe me, the loud exhaust gets old fast, I drove my Vic with open cats for like 3 months. It is rudely loud and the fact that you cant hear yourself think really gets old. Now I am running stock system with a Summit Race muffler straped on to it. Gives it a nice rumble and you can cruise and enjoy the sounds of the radio, and your thoughts . Just something to think over.

Below is a link to a video of my current exhaust.
                      1987 Crown Vic, stock 2" system with a 2.25" Summit Race Muffler. The motor is a fuel injected 5.0 liter V8.
                      -2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor - Daily Driver - 17" Bullitt's, 235/55/17 Goodyear Eagles, Ex-NH State Police, best 1/4 mile time; 15.3 @ 90 mph
                      -1987 Crown Victoria 2-Door - Project - 90k miles, Summit chambered muffler, Sunpro gauges, parked since 2010, fate tbd

Comment

Runnin loud pipes that end under your feet, and havin loud pipes that end under the back bumper are WAY different. When its out the back of the car its a lot quieter to you the driver than the same amount off sound commin from under your feel. That's why I don't understand people dumping exhaust under the car, and not out the back.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hav24wheel View Post
                          Runnin loud pipes that end under your feet, and havin loud pipes that end under the back bumper are WAY different. When its out the back of the car its a lot quieter to you the driver than the same amount off sound commin from under your feel. That's why I don't understand people dumping exhaust under the car, and not out the back.
                          this is true, but still, you can hear it in the background....
                          -2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor - Daily Driver - 17" Bullitt's, 235/55/17 Goodyear Eagles, Ex-NH State Police, best 1/4 mile time; 15.3 @ 90 mph
                          -1987 Crown Victoria 2-Door - Project - 90k miles, Summit chambered muffler, Sunpro gauges, parked since 2010, fate tbd

Comment

Originally posted by 87DeuceVic View Post
                            this is true, but still, you can hear it in the background....
                            the police hear it pretty clearly too....

Comment

I thought that was the whole reason to put performance exhaust on... To listen to it. I know that's why I do.
                              sigpic

Comment

why would you put a louder exhaust on it if you didnt want to hear it? i thought that was the whole point. it is for me at least. ill share a few of my different setups...
                                i had shorty headers with the mustang h pipe and thrush hush turbo mufflers if i recall coreectly on my 86. i recently did that same setup to my 84. i dont have any vids of it yet but....i dont like it. im not sure what it is but it has a nice idle but doesnt open up when you give it gas, its sort of flat. im thinking of switching out mufflers.
                                i have flowmaster 40s on my 96 with 2 1/4 pipes. i very much enjoy the sound of that. it has a mean idle, roars to life on acceleration but suprisingly no drone on the highway while cruising. i like it a lot. it doesnt interfere with conversation, or listening to the radio, but it turns heads outside.
                                this past week we put a set of magnaflow mufflers on a small block chevy jeep. ive never been one for magna flow but that thing sounds fierce, its got me thinking. it is definately an agressive sounds, and it wasnt all that bad down the road. now granted, the top was off on the jeep....

hopefully that helps you out, sorry i have no vids. i gotta work on that.
                                1996 Mercury Grand Marquis - duals, PI cams, PI intake, J-Mod, MZT, BOC tune, 3.55s, 18in wheels
                                1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero - 5.0 HO T5 Fun Cruiser
                                http://www.supermotors.net/users/tmm313

Comment

Working...
                                X