AC belt help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AC belt help

How do I remove my AC belt? I spent all day trying to get it off and I couldnt figure out what needs to come off to allow me to get to the belt.

I have a 302 with efi. 1986 LTD CV.

thanks

1: loosen the alternator bolts and remove the alternator/power steering/water pump belt
    2: reach up and under the ac compressor and loosen the ac belt tensioner bolt
    3: loosen the front ac belt tensioner bolt and remove the belt
    if you dont want the belt there and you just want to remove it, and not install another, cut the belt lol

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

thanks

Comment

did you get it off or end up cutting it?
        1996 Mercury Grand Marquis - duals, PI cams, PI intake, J-Mod, MZT, BOC tune, 3.55s, 18in wheels
        1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero - 5.0 HO T5 Fun Cruiser
        http://www.supermotors.net/users/tmm313

Comment

I wish I had seen this 6 hours ago... Trying to get that c*ck on with only one usable hand was a pain in the a$$! Why did Ford bother going away from V-belts for this retarded setup?
          1990 LTD Crown Vic w/ dead 5.0
          1984 Pontiac 6000 cammed 2.5L Iron Duke
          1986 F-150 300 6cyl 5spd.
          1994 Crown Vic... Free, bad trans?

Comment

lol. yea i got cut it off but put it back on the right way. sorry for not looking at this again.

Comment

Napa has a Fleetrunner belt for the A/C....(green back), part #25-060598HD....

Comment

That doesn't look like a 560K6 interchange ....

Is that one made of green rubber?
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

if my A/C is dead anyway, is there any advantage/disadvantage to removing that belt until I get it R132'd?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                  160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                  waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Maybe in that it'd be impossible to run the compressor unlubricated ... though granted, the low-pressure switch should shut it down anyway, so killing the compressor shouldn't be a big concern.
                    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

could it still be creating any drag on the engine?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

No drag on the engine if the compressor pulley is freewheeling. Do you have any freon left in your A/C system? Either way just unplug the low-pressure switch, that should disable the clutch and force the pulley to freewheel, then you'll be just fine.

Comment

Tiny amount of drag from the friction of the bearings in the pulley, and from the smog pump. Not enough to ever notice, and not enough to be worth removing the belt for. We're probably talking a tenth of a horsepower here.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                            could it still be creating any drag on the engine?
                            Not really, that goes for the smog pump too. It should be freewheeling like everyone else said.

Comment

Working...
                            X